I think I might have ADD and I don't know what to do

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD I think I might have ADD and I don't know what to do

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 months ago.

• Author

lordofmylies
    Participant

I am a 15 year old girl about to enter my sophomore year (10th grade) of high school. I think that I have ADD and these symptoms have followed me through elementary and middle school. I am really smart and have always been in all honors classes. Before there were advanced classes, my inattention was blamed on boredom but I’m not really bored anymore. I want to start to fix this before I get to far into the next school year because my classes are far harder this year and I don’t think I will be able to keep up if I keep going like this.
    I did not suspect anything was wrong until my sister who is two years younger bagan to get similar amounts of homework as me. I understood the material but I could not get through it. I would get distracted and get up and do other things without meaning too or I would stare off into space for long periods of time. It now takes me about 5 hours to get through my homework but the amount of time that I am actually writing or reading something equates to about an hour. Now that I have researched this more, I have realized that a lot of my behavior matches up. Someone will be talking to me and halfway through what they are saying, I will have no idea what they said. I hate drawing attention to myself so especially if I am in a large group ie. a classroom, I will not ask them to repeat it. This is making it really hard for me to learn for I often have no idea what is going on and have too get notes from someone else later. This behavior is true at my house as well. Anytime my sister and I are left home alone, we are given a list of things to accomplish. Often I will completely forget by the time that they walk out the door and I will get in trouble when my parents return. This is true even if my parents are home but I typically receive reminders that help. I am a hypochondriac so I don’t know if I am making stuff up or what I think is really ADD. According to the manual that is used my medical professionals to diagnose ADD I have it without question but I don’t know if I am skewing the symptoms. On top of that I think I have OCPD and some of those symptoms contradict those of ADD. The contradictions symptoms are the only ones that I think don’t apply to me.
    I do see a therapist for unrelated issues but I don’t know how to bring it up to her since she is the one that is trained for stuff like that.

ms_bedelia
    Participant

It sounds worth investigating ! Do you have an adult you trust who you could ask to take you to a mental health professional? You don’t necessarily have to tell them you think you have ADD if you’re not comfortable; you could say you want help dealing with the stress of a demanding school regimen and your friend learned a lot of stress management techniques by going. Then you could share with the professional your concerns.

You could also talk to a counselor or guidance counselor at school.

I don’t think you should have to deal with this alone, and I don’t think you should wait to get help with whatever you’re dealing with!

sea-diver
    Participant

I had similar problems at your age but only got diagnosed 3 months ago (6 months into my first year of college) and it will save you so much stress to go to a psychiatrist and make a plan for treatment and accommodations now rather than later. School/life will only get harder so the more proactive you can be the better.

Some doctors do not believe girls can have ADD so go in prepared for frustration and keep a log of frustrations and problems you experience die to the disorder. This will help them diagnose and help you faster. Good job noticing this and acting on it so quickly, good luck!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I would start by asking your therapist what he or she thinks, if ADHD is a possibility worth evaluating for. If so, you can talk to your family about it.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.