I think I have ADHD? Help?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls I think I have ADHD? Help?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Angelacawein 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

dehydratedmeat
    Participant

To give some context, I’m 16 and for the past few years of my life, I have noticed it has been really hard for me to manage my time. I was put in a GLS (General Learning Strategies) course after I failed most of my grade 10 courses because I just couldn’t work on homework nor could I manage my time properly. I talked to my mom about it and we saw a therapist but it was attributed to depression. I do have depression, but I feel like there’s something else, too. My GLS teacher says I would benefit from having a weekly planner, but I have tried to use those multiple times and I just can’t keep up with them. I don’t know how to change. It feels like my brain is programmed differently. Even now I am trying to write something for english and I can’t get past the first few sentences. My mom says I don’t have ADHD, but I really don’t know. I took an online test and I fit all of the symptoms for inattentive-type ADHD. I don’t know what I’m trying to accomplish by posting this here. I guess I’m just looking for a concrete answer. Please let me know your thoughts

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Can you show your mom the results of the online test and ask if she will schedule you for a second opinion with another doctor who is knowledgeable about ADHD specifically? It could be that it’s not fully ADHD but executive functioning disorder/delays, but, either way, it is good to know so you can get help.

What Is Executive Function Disorder?

Also, try talking to your guidance counselor at school about it.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Nikcococo
    Participant

Hi, I used to have problems with writing and academic subjects, was in the bottom of my class for a long time.

Not sure why it is difficult for you to write more than a few sentences for homework. Is the subject hard to understand, or is it hard to organize many words together in the mind? These make it hard to finish things on time because I spend a lot of time thinking and rewriting it to something that make sense.

For me, it was both so my teacher provided additional support for writing history essays by suggesting each paragraph in point form so that I not stuck on the first paragraph forever.

I also have a notebook for practicing writing. I would find books on different subjects I like, they may or may not be related to school. Then I’d write in point form – a summary of each part I think is interesting or I would copy a paragraph of beautifully written descriptive passage in a novel. Maybe I can write something similar in a narrative essay. Sometimes, I would also fill a page with a few lines from different books about a topic (each part may be written on different days).

Over time, I can write faster because I generally write more words during my free time than what is required in school, and also because I can visualize step by step what to write if I have a ‘general picture’ (all the main points written down before I write an essay) because I read a lot and can recall the points quickly without much effort. Or find the information quickly because I’ve read it a few times. Writing is very natural to me now.

If reading and writing doesn’t help for learning other things , I watch videos on YouTube or listen to podcasts on the topic. I would watch the video, rewind and pause a few times because I catch things at a slower pace but I have 5-15 min attention span. I can’t keep up with normal school lesson pace most of the time . Sometimes I have to watch a video 10 times just to do something my classmates easily do in 1 minute.

Lastly, I also learned from reading or watching videos on YouTube about people who faced learning difficulty. There are some books on ADD about cases where each child learn differently and how they overcome it. There’s also a chef with dyslexia who writes blog entries about how she overcome problems and practicing writing because people at work laugh at her for poor spelling and writing. She really motivates me.

Maybe knowing what kind of pace and activities are easier for you instead of forcing yourself to change may help? It’s OK if you learn differently. There’s nothing wrong with that because everyone is different and the public education system is mainly designed to teach things in 1 way, so it may not work for everyone.

Angelacawein
    Participant

Have your mom call the school and tell them she wants you tested. They will have your teachers fill out questions and your mom. Then you take the results to your doctor. Then they should be able to help you or direct you to someone who can.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.