I think I have adhd but I'm scared to get diagnosed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond I think I have adhd but I'm scared to get diagnosed

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      lillipop213
      Participant

Hello,

I am 21 yrs old female currently in university. I came across a video of someone describing their ADHD symptoms and i related to almost everything: forgetting sentences midway , bad memory, losing things constantly, everything feels like I’m in a fog, never being able to focus on anything for a certain period of time, etc. it gets problematic cause my GPA is having a horrible effect on this, and I want to succeed but I’m really trying but no one gets around me gets it. my job revolves constant repetition cause it’s like an insurance company and honestly because of my lack of focus and memory I’m going to quit before I get fired. Now my friend told me to go to counseling and I did and they said u have similar symptoms but only a doctor can diagnosis you. Sorry for the rambling. Anyway, I booked an appointment with the doctor to see if I have it or not and since I’m close with my mom I decided to tell her (i kind of wish I told her after I went to the doctor) and she laughed. She said there’s nothing wrong with you-you’re still in school you never dropped out, and if you do get diagnosed it will follow you everywhere you go. Mind I also mention my mother is highly religious and believes god heals the hearts and minds of people and she told me to go pray.

Now I honestly don’t even know what to do anymore. I am honestly scared of going to the physician and seeing what he might say.
      if anyone has any suggestions that would be helpful.

Thank you,

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Your mom believes the myths that are still prevalent about ADHD. You can have ADHD and get through school. You can have an ADHD diagnosis and never share it with anyone — it can’t “follow” you and haunt you if no one knows about it. If you’re struggling, get evaluated. Addressing it can help. Ignoring it will cause nothing but further struggle and pain.

31 ADHD Myths in 31 Days — Debunked.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

mitzimainer
      Participant

I know you are scared, but you are in the right place. I stumbled across an article on ADHD and took 2 quizzes to see if I qualified. I did. I took those to my PCP and he agreed with my diagnosis. I was 49 at the time.I was always scared, confused, racing, angry, overwhelmed 24/7.

My PCP gave me meds. On the first dose, I felt some relief and knew I was on the right track.

ADHD is nothing to feel ashamed about or something to be dismissed as all in our heads. We all have a right to feel good in our bodies.

Good luck to you! This is a great place for support.

Mitzi

Wolf22
      Participant

Hi, I’m 22 how funny is that. I am also in college,but online due to having a hard time with other people in the room. I totally understand where you’re coming from. I was diagnosed at 15, but it took a lot of convincing my mom to help me get tested and see a doctor. Wait that was backwards, but you get it. I always knew there was something different about me. I was always called weird,stupid,dumb,or that phrase “what’s wrong with you?” I was always thinking, “Well, I wish I knew.” As a kid, I never really talked about what was going on in my head. Which was a lot,as school was always hard to focus on. At home I would always get got on to for not following directions and forgetting everything. I always ended up forgetting to give papers to my parents, because I would forget they were in my bag. I was taught by my parents, who secretly knew I had ADHD, how to focus, which took a lot of tears out of a young me. It was frustrating that I seemed to be the only who had to stay up doing homework til 3 in the morning before school. And this wasn’t even high school. I remember being very impulsive, still am, I once accidently broke a lamp playing with a bamboo stick on my mom’s bed near her ceiling fan. I once got mad that my phone died and I chucked it at the wall. At 15 everything got amplified and my mom seeked help for herself and her angry impulsively violent daughter. Early on when I was 12 I researched ADHD and related to all symptoms, but it didn’t get bad til highschool, and I was close to failing 2 classes. I started meds then. It was touch and go because I liked my highs and the meds took that away. However, the fog was gone and I felt like I was actually present. Now , I’m 22, already said that, I am managing as I can’t afford meds right now, and I live with my Dad who doesn’t believe in meds and thinks all would have been fine if I had lived with him from the beginning. It’s hard to make them understand it’s about you and not what they think only. I have been dealing more issues, like getting days mixed up, taking hours to start and finish papers, and control anything. Still I am blessed to have made 2 wonderful friends that, not only make sure I don’t get hit by a car, but also have ADHD. I told this story so that you know you’re not alone and you should do what makes you feel right. You’ll carry nothing and being able to find closure in your answers will put you on the path you’re meant to be on. It’s true that God heals, but he also created doctors for those of us who are hurt or need help.So, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help. Praying will actually give you your real answer. I hope this helped. I’m sorry if I rambled on, but might I suggest trying to speak with friends that have it. If you don’t know any, they’ll find you. I find that we gravitate towards people with extraordinary super powers like us.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Wolf22.
      carrie.goodwiler
      Participant

I’m sorry you’re afraid, sweetheart. I was diagnosed at age 29 and wish I could have gotten that diagnosis sooner. You won’t regret going to the doctor and getting help. Best of luck to you!

arista
      Participant

I’m on the same boat. I’m 22 and my psychologist told me he can’t help me with my anxiety because he suspects I have ADHD and to go get diagnosed and tested first. This was over a year ago and I’m not doing anything about it to this day. I’m nervous and don’t want to truly look my issues head on because I don’t know what can be done about it and medications scare me.

But you know, slowly and surely every day I feel more and more determined to reach out and get help even if others don’t think ADHD is real or anything and even if it’s uncomfortable. I urge you to do the same. If anyone wants to doubt you well…it’s not like they can stand against science tbh.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.