I suspect I have ADD !?!? HELP!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      anonymous
      Participant

Okay so,

I’m a 17 year old male currently studying A-levels in the UK (equivalent of 12th Grade?) and a couple classmates had jokingly suggested that I have ADD which at the time was something I didn’t really know about. I’ve since done some reading and feel as though I do fit the vast majority of ‘symptoms’ / tendencies of people with ADD. Throughout school I have never been able to concentrate in the slightest and still ‘zone-out’ during lessons now and literally walk out of class having not learned anything and I am also very easily distracted, I’ve always been labelled as ‘Lazy’ & ‘space cadet’, the latter of which one of my teachers currently calls me now. I am always losing wallets, bags, laptops and phones (I lost my laptop and phone twice last week) and I really struggle with organisation. I can never work on hard tasks until deadlines are looming which kicks me into that ‘super-focus’ and the work I produce under serious deadline pressure is often my best and scores high marks. I wouldn’t say I’m hyperactive yet I do often feel ‘driven’ and I am a very fast walker ( I’m 5″9 and I have friends that are way taller than me that tell me to slow down all the time), I also constantly Jig my leg up and down whenever I’m sitting down and I am not aware I’m doing it until someone tells me to stop as it’s annoying them and I often fidget with my hands. I also tend to make careless mistakes with my work and can never listen to some people even when looking directly at them. I am looking to pursue industrial design at university so you could say I’m a ‘creative’ person which I know a lot of people with ADD tend to be.

I have brought it up with my parents who were quite dismissive (to my dismay) and told me I was lazy and have to work harder and I am considering consulting a doctor and was wondering if anyone with ADD or are parents of kids with ADD can help me, are these trade-mark symptoms? ( I have had these symptoms since a child – they haven’t developed recently)

Background info – I am a twin – my twin brother was diagnosed with dyspraxia from a young age so perhaps a lot of learning support was focused on him and I slipped under the radar? I was also 9 weeks premature. I’m not an expert but I have read that twins and premature babies are more likely to have ADHD so thought I would mention it. I also have an uncle who has schizophrenia. without trying to sound cocky, I’d like to think that I’m reasonably intelligent and have never failed any exams, even with a lack of concentration at school and at home so maybe because I was never struggling (on paper) it was never picked up?

I know this has been quite a lengthy post but any help would greatly be appreciated

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by anonymous.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Sounds like you may be a classic case of slipping through the cracks. You do well enough in school that adults think you can’t have any challenges other than being lazy. It’s extremely unfortunate, but common.

Try this self-test to see if you’re on the right track:

[Self-Test] Could You Have Adult ADHD / ADD?

If you’re parents won’t hear you on the subject, you may have to wait until you turn 18, then take matters into your own hands and schedule an evaluation.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.