I stopped listening to music and seeing a lot of positive changes!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD I stopped listening to music and seeing a lot of positive changes!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Beat100
      Participant

I have adhd but also aspergers, so this might not apply to everyone.

Growing up I used to listen to music everyday and most of the time. I took ADHD meds but I notice I still had trouble concentrating. I stopped taking medication after I graduated high school.

After some time, for some reason I tried to stopped listening to music. It seems that stop listening has had a change in my “brain chemistry.” I told my asperger’s counselor about this and she think I might have hypersensitivy to sound.

With music: Overall it seems like my life goes through a ‘haze’ I stopped remembering things. It similar who someone who gets drunk. I don’t drink but I have talked to people and they told me they have analogous experiences.

Without music
      1-I can exercise and finish my workouts.
      2-I have small bursts of energy when I can clean/organize my room.
      3-I feel more present in the moment.
      4-I can control my impulses better.
      5-I tend to have a more calm mindset and it decreases my anxiety.
      6-I tend to do more work both personal projects and professional.

Overall: I feel much better without music than with it. I wanted to know if this happened to others or it might also be because I have aspergers.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Beat100.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Wow! That is fascinating. My teen with ADHD and ASD finds music calming and soothing and needs it all the time — and the heavier the beat, the more calming it is for him.

Just goes to show the true diversity of all our minds. 🙂

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.