I need help on resources for my 13 year old daughter

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning 504 Plans, IEPs & Accommodations I need help on resources for my 13 year old daughter

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • #50535

      My daughter has been seeing the school therapist since the beginning of this year. Yesterday, I was told that my daughter is diagnosed with Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). The school therapist also recommended that I write a letter to the school board and have her tested for Resources. Which I was told, that someone from the school would work with her, check her homework and go over her tests and see where she has problems in class. My daughter is bright, but doesn’t push herself until the end of the school year to work on her academics. Which I was told was because at this point she feels comfortable with her teachers and classwork, that’s when she excels. Can you tell me is there another name for resources, as I can’t seem to find anything on this? School ends by the middle of June and I’d love to get this letter sent and if possible have them test her before school ends or before it begins. I’d appreciate as much information if anyone can provide. I’ll be looking for a therapist for my daughter for the summer months, so, she can speak to someone since she seems to hide her feelings.

    • #50537

      Resources = Special Education. What this school counselor is referring to are accommodations or modifications that would be written into an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Having her tested is called a Full Individual Evaluation (FIE). These evaluations are intended to gather more information about your daughter, determine if she qualifies for Special Education, and if so, provide her with the accommodations, modifications, and interventions to help her be successful in school. The School Counselor was right. You can initiate the process by writing a letter requesting an evaluation. You are entering a complicated world in terms of complexity and depth. I provided you with a lot of formal terms on purpose, so you can start googling and researching. Best of Luck.

    • #50538

      Thank you for your reply @scott.luto, I really appreciate all the helpful information. Lee

    • #50633

      One thing that you can also do to get help is to contact your local, county, or state mental health resources. My 10 year old daughter has ADHD, odd, and dmdd, you can also try a mh/idd or service management agency for help. My daughter has a tss, mobile therapist, a wonderful psychiatrist, and a children and youth case manager (not for abuse or court, but as a helpful resource). These agencies can provide help for you as well if you need it. I would be crazy with out the help I receive to deal with my daughter’s​ mental health.

    • #50650
      Penny Williams

      Here’s a sample letter to request an evaluation for special ed inclusion, that would give her access to resource services and accommodations:

      That will get the process started.

      Then, while you’re waiting for the evaluation and eligibility determination, learn everything you can about IEPs and 504 Plans, and what your child is entitled to.

      How to Get a 504 Plan or IEP in 12 Steps

      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

    • #50809

      Request Evaulations testing and Accommodations to go apply to accompany these recommendations. Also Request be Added into IEP. Also check with Isurance about Outside Independent Evaluations & coverage. Often More in Depth by outside providers & more accompanying accomadations listed by them. Then you have a 2nd source to back up needs.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.