I have many symptoms, but…

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  seafloor 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

liri123
    Participant

I have experienced a variety of symptoms, and many articles seem terribly relatable. My own mother has ADHD, but when I was 9 I got a brain scan for a concussion and the neurologist said that I didn’t. My dad told me that my symptoms are “emotional.” He told me only a year ago. We are three siblings and chances are at least one of us inherited it, but should a brain scan be a definite answer?

seafloor
    Participant

Brain scans aren’t typically used to diagnose, or to rule out ADHD. In one of the ADDitude webinars, Dr. Hallowell (leading ADHD expert) said that in his view, the most significant source when diagnosing ADHD is your lifelong history of achievement (i.e. if you have ADHD, you will have exhibited symptoms since childhood). Most other healthcare professionals use rating scales to identify ADHD. Brain scans or neurological imaging are not among the top 2 methods used to identify ADHD.

What’s more, diagnoses (or definitive rule outs thereof) should never be made on the basis of only one source. If there is one source pointing towards one likely conclusion (e.g. your brain scan suggested neurotypical function) then that’s helpful information, but for a definite answer you will want to look at another source like your personal history, your grades, reports from your teachers or family members, or your responses to rating scales.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.