I get frustrated with fake adhd

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I get frustrated with fake adhd

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SimonaSto 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

iforgeteverything
    Participant

I don’t want to come across judgemental although I probably will.
    I was diagnosed with adhd in my junior year of high school, too late to have any impact on my education. I barely graduated and college was definitely not an option. More and more I am hearing 10% of people in America have adhd and I’m seriously getting pissed off. ADHD has ruined so many things in my life from friendships, jobs, respect from others, my own stupidity, losing money and valuable items. There is no way 10% of the population experiences this.
    I cannot even do simple math on a calculator because even while medicated I forget what numbers I just entered. People have got to be rushing their kids to the psychiatrist the first time they forget to bring their lunchbox to school.
    I know I shouldn’t be this angry about it but the amount of people who actually have useful brains claiming they have adhd has made it a joke. I want to tell people about this so they can understand my shortcomings and communicate with me in a more effective way but I don’t even bother cause they think it’s a joke.
    I don’t know what to do anymore so I just let people think I’m stupid. Does anyone else feel misunderstood when compared to someone who just can’t test well?

ABridge
    Participant

I kind of get you I have it my self and was diagnosed in grade 9. I just don’t like this kind of hype around it like calling it a super power and all that crap. Like it has screwed up a ton of areas in my life.

SimonaSto
    Participant

I can really see your frustration. My daughter is 12 now and was diagnosed just about six months ago. As I’m researching symptoms and tips and remedies to help her I’m finding out I am showing or have had shown symptoms of ADHD. We as humans really don’t understand brain much and what was considered as bad behavior in past is now symptom of illness. Many people havent been diagnosed in past as we didn’t know much about it so it seems we are giving this diagnose just to anybody who asks. You must also consider that there is different stages same as with other illnesses like Autism, OCD, Diabetes, Arthritis …etc. You might have shown symptoms of much deeper case of ADHD than your friend of neighbor.
    The only person who hopefully and rightfully knows is that person and his/her therapist.
    So try to focus on other things than this frustration. Even that you thing you are done with school and getting help and/or trying therapeutic methods is pointless, don’t give up. You have long life ahead of you and it can still help you to improve in daily tasks, job….perhaps.

Best of luck to you 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.