I feel like a dissapointment 😞

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD I feel like a dissapointment 😞

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jolly 6 months ago.

• Author

Jolly
    Participant

Does anyone feel like dissapointment to there parents? My parents don’t understand me. I’m a 100% sure I have ADHD. I’m undiagnosed though. I don’t know anymore…. My parents think I’m “labelling” myself with a “disorder”. Like.. What the frick!

nessy
    Participant

Sorry to hear that. Anyway you can get a referral to get tested? Also, they say ADHD is highly hereditary- so, do either of your parents seem to fit the profile too?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Talk to a guidance counselor at school. They could turn out to be a good ally and help facilitate more conversations with your parents about it.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

tanyasatre
    Participant

Please don’t feel that way, I am sure your parents aren’t disappointed in you and love you, and even if that’s true, please ask a guidance counselor to help you, talk to your teachers, and don’t be worried about labels, personally I think we have become so scared to label people that we fail to find help for people. Sometimes putting a name to a disorder actually brings relief.

Jolly
    Participant

Ok, my parent definitely fits the category of over focused ADD. She always loses track of time, she’s always late to work, she’s forgetful, and she hyper focuses on her work like every day. This happens consistently.

nessy
    Participant

Someone on these forums mentioned that they listen to Jessica McCabe who has a YouTube channel called How to ADHD. You might find her videos helpful.

Jolly
    Participant

Ok thanks!😊

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.