I feel awful for having ADHD

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      loopfroop
      Participant

Hello!
      I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD for around 4 years now. As thankful as I am for an early diagnosis, I can’t help but feel horrible for the symptoms I experience. Even when I know they’re critical issues with executive function, I can’t help but feel like walking away in the middle of doing something is just me being lazy. Maybe it’s how my parents treat my symptoms sometimes? Don’t get me wrong, they’re amazing and supportive people, but oftentimes they forget (or don’t know) that a lot of “lazy” behavior I exhibit is a symptom of ADHD. Whether it’s my extreme forgetfulness or sudden loss of reason to do something, it’s always perceived as laziness. I don’t blame them, they don’t have ADHD and surprisingly haven’t researched it nearly as much as me, but I still feel like they could treat my executive function issues as an inherent disadvantage rather than conscious decision to be lazy.

Also, I would like to add that I was on ADHD medication for a while but they took me off of it in fear of brain development issues. I’ve proven to them that this isn’t the case and fortunately will be back on it soon 🙂

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

What you’re feeling is natural, but also preventable. I don’t know if you’re male or female, but I think this webinar replay will help with the guilt and shame regardless:

Listen to “Beyond Shame and Guilt: Transformative Strategies for Women with ADD” with Michelle Frank, Psy.D.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.