I don't really think ADHD medication is working for me

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD I don't really think ADHD medication is working for me

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  matth 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

wantstodomore
    Participant

I’ve tried Concerta, which made me feel suicidal, and now I’m on Vyvanse. Vyvanse is very smooth but it doesn’t slow things down for me. I’ve tried a bunch of doses: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and nothing seems to work. When I take Vyvanse, I notice I’m on it. However, I usually hit a point where I “hyper focus” and I lock in on something. Unfortunately anything I lock in on is usually a distraction or unproductive. I never, ever, focus on the things I need to focus on. ADHD medication hasn’t made things more clear for me, it hasn’t helped me organize or prioritize things in my brain. I feel like it makes my ADHD worse in some respects.

It’s very disheartening. Does anyone have advice?

In the past if I felt a medication wasn’t working for me, I would ask my doctor if we could try something else. Sometimes a new med would work better, sometimes it would be worse. It can be scary trying something new, but you dont know until try. Remember, you can always back to a previous med if a new one doesn’t help you.

michael petan
      Participant

I’m on Ritalin, it is working for me. 10 mg twice a day. It sort of adds a “speed affect” but my mind does not dip into anxiety or melancholy. I also have a very good diet and meditate. ADHD never goes away, its like a runny nose. Meditation for me really helps. Loving yourself as odd as that sounds help, different is okay. I’m an artist painter an writer that helps, find a passion, fly fish, run, swim, dance naked on the back porch, cook elaborate dinners, watch funny funny movies Raising Arizona comes to mind. Love and respect to YOU.

MrScott
    Participant

Any medication will have some mix of effects for you; some positive, some neutral, some negative. Look for meds that help more than they hinder. Amantadine is mentioned in “Healing ADHD”.

Other things you can do for yourself:

• Supplements such as fish oil
    • Exercise helps a lot
    • An ADD coach (once you find a good fit)
    • Breath meditation trains your brain to know how to be calm
    • Eat well
    • Get enough good sleep

Good luck!

cchaden
    Participant

I used to take Adderall XR, wanted a change because it didn’t last long enough, tried Concerta which lasted longer but made me irritable, now have been on Vyvance for over six months. My psychiatrist told me that it’s an improved (and more expensive ) form of Adderall, it lasts a long time which I like.

I found out I have ADHD at age 50 when my son was diagnosed, and I am now 76. I have a lifetime of bad habits which I struggle with and/or embrace, I am oppositional and over focus easily, never learned executive functions like prioritizing and planning ahead, I do what has to be done TODAY. And yes, I get distracted and sucked in to whatever catches my eye, even on my meds! But recently I read an article here about my daily to-do list which really worked!

I know I am only supposed to have 3 or 4 things on the list, and that’s hard, but the rest of this article stressed that I must GO BACK to the list over and over all day until it is completed. I will be distracted, I will realize it, and I go back to the list! The first time I completed my list I was SO PROUD of myself, what a great feeling! Now I set a timer if I can’t let go, and distract myself back to my list. Reading articles on ADDitude is a black hole I fall into a lot, so I am signing off now…!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

People often have to try several ADHD stimulant medications to find the one that works best for them. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. Since you’ve tried both now, it stands to reason that you’d try different medications of the type you did better on. However, this is a conversation you need to have with your prescribing doctor.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

matth
    Participant

39 yo male. I’m turning to this forum because i’m hoping to find answers, as I’m sure you all are. I was diagnosed with ADHD a year ago, but honestly, I always knew I had it. I’ve tried a variety of medications since then and none seem to work. The most luck that I have had is with 10mg ER ritalin. It seemed to be the secret sauce. It was like putting on glasses and seeing the world in abject clarity for the first time. No high, no euphoria, no jitters, just clarity. I could focus, prioritize, compartmentalize, was a great worker, and a better friend/all around person. Then, a month in, it just stopped working. The Docs raised my dose and the side effects were not good. I got jittery, euphoric, and then crashed and was chronically depressed for about a month. I then tried Wellbutrin to treat the ADHD and depression together. That drug did not work for me at all. Lethargy all day until a spike and then a panic attack. Tapering off of it caused more depression, racing thoughts and sleepless nights. Not fun at all and downright scary. Several months later I tried a small dose of Vyvanse for one day. It made my teeth feel weird and I was amped up and jittery all day. I’m clean off of meds now and feel like my usual blah, melancholy, ADHD self. Can’t motivate to get projects started, and when I do I can’t finish them. My routines are good, I exercise regularly in the morning, eat healthy, meditate and do breath work EVERY DAY. All of that work and it’s just enough to feel blah to normal. The hard part is that with the 10mg Ritalin I was able to glimpse a better version of myself, and I’m wondering if I’ll ever get there again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.