I didn't really have these symptoms as a child, but could I have ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond I didn't really have these symptoms as a child, but could I have ADHD?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 8 months ago.

• Author

sr1094@yahoo.com
    Participant

When I was 15, I noticed I became very hyper. I would constantly pace around the room to the point of running and skipping, and I still do that today. Music makes it enjoyable, but it’s annoying bumping into things. When I’m at school or visiting places, I try to stand up as much as I can vs. sitting. I’m very fidgety; I do things like flapping my arms, tapping my chest, darting my eyes back and forth, shaking my hands and wiggling my fingers. Lately what’s getting worse is my concentration. I’ve always been distracted by things around the room, especially posters. I’ll daydream and zone out in class, then rush to catch up on what I missed. I’m having more trouble reading books; I enjoy reading, but I usually have to read the same paragraph 5 times to get into the book. It can depend on the type of book though. I guess I’m inclined to read it super fast, and it makes the words a blur. Now I’m doing more silly things; I’ll try to write something and then write it incorrectly because something popped into my mind and I wrote that. I’ll misread texts, or read something right but then do something else. The silliness is funny at first, but not when it’s every day.

I was thinking this was my anxiety at first, but my anxiety has gotten better and my symptoms are only growing. Maybe it’s from thinking too much? When I was a child, I constantly doodled on my papers at school and I wasn’t very organized(both with cleaning and time management), but those are the closest things I remember that are ADHD-like. I did an ADHD screening at the doctor’s, but I never got any results. What are your thoughts?

donsense
    Participant

I am not an expert far from it. BUT i do express opinions here often. A son who was diagnosed at age 5, 40 years ago, a grandson (my daughters son) also diagnosed as a child, and finally my diagnosis at age 70 are my not so impressive credentials.
    What I have learned from this and other Forums and Books is that the technical symptoms and how they present in us were not initially connected to me. Some of us have trouble with social cues especially at this age. Reading, listening and viewing made the answers a lot more credible to me. I began to see the connectedness. A few moments ago I posted on another topic my thoughts and activities this weekend and morning which were unbelievably in sync with the summary of symptoms for us young oldsters. 3 years ago I would not have recognised me in the summary presented. Lights will go on in your mind as you read the actions and thoughts of those “gifted” with this condition. Or Not. This lack of connectedness to the questions in the screener made me think “OH!” Thats what they meant by that question”
    At your age I went from a prolific reader to seldom reading in a few short years. No i am not aware this is a symptom but one never knows. And all the actions you mentioned, doodling, Daydreaming, from boredom in school, but that might just be from becoming a tween and teen.
    If you are interested, follow up by reading the other forum titles especially those by parents who are raising children and teens. See if you recognize any in you. A complete analysis and Diagnosis is expensive and time consuming. Thats why the screening test.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  donsense. Reason: Ipad keyboarding skills lacking. Spelling errors

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Definitely follow up with the doctor who evaluated you if you never received results or an evaluation report. That’s unacceptable.

What you describe could be a number of things, so it’s important to view the evaluation reports. Could be autism, ADHD, anxiety, sensory processing disorder…

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.