I concentrate better when i am tired

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond I concentrate better when i am tired

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      renovator
      Participant

Hi,
      When it is quieter and I am tired I get all my work done. I am not in a hypo-manic state. just a state of flow and calm and i am not easily distracted
      It’s really nice, but i would like to work normal houses

On the forum however, people seem to find it harder to concentrate when they are tired, But I am the opposite and I don’t understand it .

Any advice would be appreciated

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like your brain is more clearly able to focus when things are calm and quiet. That’s not unusual. I don’t think being tired is helping, I think it just so happens that the calm, quiet time of the day is also when you are tired — the end of the day perhaps?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Tanyamaree
      Participant

Hi, I feel the same. When I am tired, I get to a point in the day (usually when most are going home) that I can get into a flow state. I get through the work, there are few interruptions and I can work far more productively. There comes a point though where I tip over into just too tired, usually after working this way all week.

Another strange observation for me was when I used to have a hangover (I don’t drink much anymore). Usually the day after a work party my day would start like my colleagues with a foggy brain and needing a toastie, but as the day went on I would spark up and go on to do some of my most focussed work and be working long after everyone else had gone home to rest. Thus partly due to the sleep deprivation I’m sure!

My anecdotes are all while on medication.

We are not alone! 😊

renovator
      Participant

Hi,
      To hear a single instrument in my brain, rather than the orchestra some of the time would be marvellous. The orchestra is nice for creativity and to make lateral leaps, but just to get things done would be awesome

To summarise , I concentrate better
      – With headphones listening to the same song or waves or tree sounds
      – Late at night when I am tired
      – Very stressed
      – In a flow state
      – In emergencies, where I lose all the distractions and emotions
      – Exhausted and
      – Hungover

@Tamy It’s so good to know ” We are not alone’ and I agree that toasties are the ultimate cure! Our brains are wired the opposite for most people, but then I was worried that it was wired differently from people on this forum.

And @Penny the quiet helps, but i have been wondering whether body temperature or low light helps ? If it is quiet though in the middle of the day, it doesn’t help.

@Tany
      My experience with hangovers is the same – I was once called into work on New Year’s day,after a spectacularly drunk New Year’s Eve, and I was very effective.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.