hypersensitivity, dosage and effects

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD hypersensitivity, dosage and effects

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Hypersensitive
      Participant

47 yo male diagnosed with ADD – Inattentive type

The symptoms I’d like to address are:

– Ability to finish tasks without getting distracted
      – Attention – I get lost in thoughts and can’t focus on things
      – Be able to slow down and be more deliberate about things e.g. be mindful
      – Working memory is quite bad

Due to a previous history of recreational drugs they started me on the lowest dose of Ritalin. I found this to be unbearable, it stopped my ability to think, I couldn’t process information at all. Simple activities like spreadsheets that I would normally excel at (pun intended), were almost impossible. I think I lasted about a week after halving the dose and then halving it again, the lower dose made it tolerable but I didn’t experience any positive effects other then it made me a little calmer and I could meditate easier. I got super tired due to how hard I had to think about everything I needed to.

I then moved to Dexamphetamine 5Mg IR and experienced something similar, the dose gave me euphoria similar to recreational drugs so I halved the dose and took 2.5mg IR twice a day. This wasn’t fantastic as I was a little bit up and down. We then tried Vyvanse in the hope that the SR nature of it would reduce the up and down nature. The lowest dose of 20mg was like taking Meth for me, so once again I halved the dose and then a third. Vyvanse is not cheap so tipping 2/3 of each capsule down the sink each day was not appealing.

During this time the main benefits were increased attention to some tasks e.g. ability to meditate without distraction and general calmness. The negatives were an inability to get things done that required thought power, reduced ability to follow through on my intentions, my general short term memory got worse and I grew more and more tired as my sleep was impacted.

I then moved to Strattera which was a disaster as I experienced side effects that I couldn’t tolerate and didn’t experience any positive effects that I could recognize. I managed to titrate to 100Mg and lasted 11 days before calling it quits. I crashed for about a week as it was impacting my sleeping during the night and then masking my tiredness during the day.

So we were back to square one. My Dr suggested we get the Dex IR compounded into 2.5mg SR which we did. I took 2.5Mg SR first thing in the morning for a week which despite the low dosage still impacted my sleep. After a week my sleep slowly got better but I think that might have been because of how tired I was. I didn’t notice any euphoria but also didn’t really notice any significant positive effects either.

For the last two days I’ve increased the dosage to 5Mg SR first thing and don’t really notice anything until around midday when I get mild euphoria which lasts a few hours followed being tired for about an hour.

During this time I really slow down, when talking to my wife I sometimes struggle to find words or even stop mid-sentence trying to figure out what to say. Anything that I would normally do easily becomes a little bit harder and I have to think my way through it e.g. making a sandwich. I see some benefit in that as I need to concentrate harder on things as it makes me more deliberate but it’s really tiring.

Has anyone else had experiences like mine? I don’t know if I should persist with 5mg to see if it gets better or go back to 2.5mg. My Dr has suggested that there are other drugs that we could potentially layer on top of the Dex that might help some of my symptoms once I’ve found a dose that works for me. Should I stay on 5mg longer to see if the euphoria dissipates as my tolerance increases?

As a side note I’ve used a service called MyDNA that suggests that I have reduced metabolism for stimulant medication, this has two effects 1. Stays in my system longer and 2. Higher peak concentration, which seems to concur with my hypersensitivity to stimulants.

Hypersensitive
      Participant

haha man i wrote an essay didn’t I, no-one with ADHD will get through all of that without getting distracted.

summary.

Currently taking 2.5mg of Slow Release Dexamphetamines (Adderall in the US I think) due to sensitivity to amphetamines. I’m struggling with dosage as 2.5mg doesn’t seem to do anything and 5mg gives me slight euphoria.

Should I stay on 5mg longer to see if the euphoria dissipates as my tolerance increases?
      Do others experience euphoria and if so how long did it last?

Gazettechan
      Participant

That is critical, I woudl suggest you follow what the doctor advises you.

Hypersensitive
      Participant

The problem is my dr has not had anyone who has been as sensitive to the stimulant medications as me and consultation with other drs has not yielded any others either . She has been happy for me to modify my dosage to find the right level and then report back.

I was hoping to see if others experienced euphoria and if they had persisted with it.

Rubie.binion
      Participant

I’ve actually experienced something quite similar. It’s bizarre. I apologize, though. I don’t have a good idea of what route you should take, I’m actually in a eerily similar situation.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You’ll find some insights on what you’re experiencing in this article on burn rate:

Is Burn Rate Making Your ADHD Medications Less Effective?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Hypersensitive
      Participant

I’ve actually experienced something quite similar. It’s bizarre. I apologize, though. I don’t have a good idea of what route you should take, I’m actually in a eerily similar situation.

Where are you at now with your treatment? I’ll return and update on my progress in case it helps you in some way.

My dr had already determined that my metabolism of stimulants was slow but this was confirmed with the MyDNA test that I did. If your trying to get a better understanding of your reaction to treatments, this might help. http://www.mydna.life, I’m not endorsing them though, talk to your dr first.

You’ll find some insights on what you’re experiencing in this article on burn rate

Thanks, good article.

I’ll have to wait until I next see my Dr to figure out how to progress with dosage and if I can expect the euphoria to subside. I’ve been on this journey of ADHD medication since March and it’s been a really slow and expensive process that I don’t seem to be any closer to solving.

If anyone has any guidance on their experiences with euphoria (getting high) of their stimulant meds, did they persist and if so how long did it last before it become tolerable that would be great.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.