Hyperfocus

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 months ago.

• Author

3 Little Boys
    Participant

Does anyone else get excessively hyperfocused when doing something they really love for too long? I mean so that it exacerbates inattentive symptoms across every part of life for some time after ceasing the activity? I get into this state after reading fiction. I like mysteries and crime fiction and will hyperfocus and read obsessively until the book is finished and then crave another. Meanwhile things fall by the board in my life and since I am a mum running a household with a working husband and four boys under 8yo, even though I don’t work much outside the home (hats off to ADHD mums who can do that as well as everything else!), everything starts crumbling around me as I can’t focus on what I need to do next or even at all. I have to consciously stop the reading when I finish the book and don’t get another one and leave it and within a few weeks I am back to my normal struggles instead of the super-normal struggles. My mum says I have been like that since a child and she would “cure” it with book bans (but obviously it is only an exacerbation and recession, rather than a cure) of about a week with no books.

I would love to be able to make a time each day to do what I love, but it seems to be out of my reach as it is too dangerous for my life generally, to indulge at all. I can read non-fiction and often do, but it isn’t as exciting or something I look forward to as much. I often wonder why I need so much escapism if I love my family life, which I do.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Getting stuck in hyperfocus is common for many with ADHD. Here are some further insights on it:

Hyperfocus: A Blessing and a Curse

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.