Hyperfocus on insignificant details

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Hyperfocus on insignificant details

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ajaxblu
      Participant

Hi, I’m new here and have a question, but first will give info needed…

I’m 50… I’ve known I have adhd for 1-2 years.

Dr has tried me on many different meds, some that have helped some, and he has me on sleep aids to shut my brain off at night. I’m still just as scatterbrained, though I don’t know how much of that is the fact that I perpetually have too many things going on.

No matter what med I’m on, I get caught up in details. For projects at work or home or school I will spend hours trying to solve or research a small insignificant part of a project and not realize I’ve gotten nothing relevant done until I’m out of time. I’ve always done this about most things in my life.

I don’t believe any med will help me with this. When I told my dr, he said Nonsense, you just tell me what’s wrong, and I will solve it. And he changed meds. The new med hasn’t made a difference
      So my question: Has anyone else who hyperfocuses on insignificant details been helped by meds, while still being able to focus when needed? It just sounds unrealistic to me.

Thanks

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Common sense would say that a medication that increases focus would likely increase hyperfocus. I found that to be true for my son. However, it provides clarity in other ways that could help you recognize and break free from the hyperfocus in instances where time is of the essence.

Read this article to understand the nuances of ADHD medication and finding the right med and dosage:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Also, try using a timer when you start a new task. Allow yourself say, 20 minutes to satisfy your curiosity and dig into details. But, when the timer goes off, it’s time to get back to the tasks that are most important.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ajaxblu
      Participant

Penny, thank you so much for the reply and the article. I appreciate the tips, as well!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.