hyperfocus

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 month ago.

• Author

Hi i am a 17 year old teenager who was diagnosed with adhd a few weeks back.I have read on several websites that “hyperfocus ” is a symptom of adhd where an individual is able to pay undivided attention to some particular task which is of great interest to him or her.Can someone give a more detailed description of what it really feels like to be hyperfocused .Can different people have different experiences of “hyperfocus “? A few days ago i remember that i was reading my biology textbook and the chapter i was reading was extremely interesting and i spent the next 1 hour reading with more attention than i ever have.It felt like my brain had been placed in ice cold water ,i could feel every part of my brain working,and was able to actually hear my own voice as i was thinking about some concept .Has anyone else had a similar experience?

quietlylost
    Participant

Hyperfocus can vary, and it’s not always on the same things. You might hyperfocus on video games one day and then struggle to stay engaged another. Hyperfocus is usually triggered by something that is interesting, new, challenging, or urgent. We can really engage with something and lose track of time or even other responsibilities.

Dr. Hallowell says that people with ADHD don’t have an Attention Deficit but rather an Attention Difference. We can’t control our attention when we want or need to, so we struggle to hyperfocus when we need to and we get distracted and confused when we can’t afford to.

If you note yourself getting hyperfocused, that’s okay. Just be mindful of when it happens and try to learn from those times. If you have trouble focusing in general, talk about that with your providers and utilize some tools that you can learn to help with that. Make sure to check out the “HowToADHD” Youtube channel for some good useful tips.

What you’re describing is normal, so don’t feel out of place. 🙂

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Hyperfocus probably takes different forms for different people. These articles can provide some insights on what it is and even how to use it to your benefit.

What is ADHD Hyperfocus?

Hyperfocus — at Your Service

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.