Husband worried about turning to meds

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Husband worried about turning to meds

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Aaarrrggg
    Participant

My husband has had a hard few years with anxiety and panic attacks which caused his doc to prescribe daily benzos. This worked great for a couple of weeks, but then his body demanded more and after researching online we discovered that benzos are INCREDIBLY addictive and he should never have been prescribed them for daily use! It’s taken him 2 years to taper off them (withdrawal is painful and dangerous) so to say we’re now very wary of medication is an understatement! 🙁

We do however strongly suspect he has ADHD and we’re wondering if meds would help. His mind races and he has a hard time focusing on anything, often resulting in panic attacks. At the same time, his work that he used to love (art) isn’t bringing him any satisfaction and he’s finding it really hard to get motivated. The only time he says he really feels like his mind “flows” is when he takes his ambien at night, which depresses him because just when he can finally draw, he needs to go to sleep and start the whole horrible process over again.

He’s been working really hard, eating right and getting more exercise, trying to just power through the brain fog with work, but he seems to have hit a wall and we’re wondering if meds might be the answer.

I’m seeing a lot of positive stories from people taking them, but am I missing something? Once your body becomes accustomed to them, is the crash worth it? Can it be avoided? Once you find the right medication for you are you then set for life, or do you have to keep switching it up?

I’m basically looking for some honest stories about the meds. We don’t want to make the same mistake we did with benzos.

Thanks for your time! 🙂

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

From an information standpoint, here’s everything you need to know about ADHD stimulant medication:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Stimulant medication works differently for everyone because it’s based on neurotransmitter needs, metabolism, and genetics.

Stimulant medication doesn’t cause addiction:

Does Stimulant Medication Cause Addiction?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.