How to tell if you're taking too much adderall or too little?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults How to tell if you're taking too much adderall or too little?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      algebraicgeomet
      Participant

I’m currently taking about 22 mg of adderall per dose, either once or twice a day. This is kinda alarming to me, since adderall is generally prescribed at lower dosages. I myself was prescribed 18 mg but have been taking 22 mg since lower dosages always gave me awful side effects and almost no benefits like concentration. But apparently adderall’s maximum dosage is recommended to be lower, at 40 mg max for immediate release per day. I’m already quite skinny (underweight actually) so I’m kinda troubled by this. It took me a really long time to find the right dosage additionally, and now I’m not even sure if this is the right dosage.

So essentially, what are the telltale signs of taking either too little or too much adderall/adhd medications in general? I’ve tried ritalin but it just wasn’t as effective as adderall, so with the adderall I will stay for the forseeable future.

Additional issue – do you guys have any advice for dealing with increased libido during medication duration? When I’m not on adderall I’m normal, but when I’m taking it it massively increases my sex drive and I sometimes take up hours of masturbating which is obviously not a good use of my time. I’ve tried a lot of things but I’m not sure what to do with this. I’ve contacted my psychiatrist for a follow up to talk about this but with the virus going around and quarantine I’m not sure when I’ll get an appointment.

Thanks, and stay safe everyone

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It definitely sounds like you need a medication adjustment. You need to work with your prescribing doctor to determine what that is.

5 Rules for Using ADHD Medications Effectively

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.