How to study and memorize w/ADHA?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done How to study and memorize w/ADHA?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 weeks ago.

• Author

shares
    Participant

Hello,

My whole family including me has ADHD/ADD. I was diagnosed though just this last year and I am still learning how to do things.

I Just started my first semester of college.(I am a little bit older than my fellow freshman peers.) College has made me very nervous because I will have to put a lot more effort into getting the grades I want. I want to do better than I did in high school. But it has been two weeks and I realize that it takes me ten times longer to do things then my classmates.

I am learning a second language I am having a very hard time memorizing and focusing on studying. It is very hard b/c I feel like I can do all my homework no problem but then sit down and five hours later I haven’t even scratched the surface of my homework and its not like I have a ton of homework! I can’t even explain how it happens! I start my home work and five hours later I have written down some things and tried to read some things and tried to memorize some other things and in the end I look at what I’ve accomplished to just realized I haven’t accomplished anything! It isn’t like I am on my phone or anything,(okay thats a lie I do get on my phone, CURSE YOU INSTAGRAM!) I am sitting there trying to focus but my mind wonders or my brain has like a mental spasm were I swear I can’t think anymore. It is like my brain was like, well that was fun, and walked away!! “Come back and focus!” is what I am screaming in my head while in the library.

Like this post is taking longer than it should too. I can’t put my words in order.

I really want to succeed in college but I’m slowly loosing my confidence and starting to stop caring. My anxiety is taking over my life because I know my homework will take me all day to do and finish.(and I don’t have all day! I still have bills to pay and a job to go to like a normal human!) Which gives me have major anxiety to were then I get depressed and make my husband get me ice-cream while I have a melt down.

I guess my question is this: How do you focus when your studying? How do you memorize things? How do you do school?

Any study hacks you have would be so helpful! I know I can do it but anything to help me do things faster and lessen my anxiety would be very helpful. I am sure my husband would appreciate it too!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

It sounds like overwhelm is getting to you. I wonder if a “Today’s Plan of Attack” Pad would help you. You can quickly determine priorities and make a plan, but just one day at a time.
    (https://www.amazon.com/Knock-Todays-Attack-Great-Stickies/dp/1601067755/ref=pd_sim_229_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1601067755&pd_rd_r=1f7fd883-1d97-11e9-b14a-83fc1d3356e7&pd_rd_w=702ag&pd_rd_wg=IL1JK&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=197W2ECRGZQVCTF79SP5&psc=1&refRID=197W2ECRGZQVCTF79SP5)

Here are some study tips too:

A+ Study Tips from ADD and the College Student

Conquering College

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.