How to get teen up in the morning?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults How to get teen up in the morning?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      msolty
      Participant

I’m having a lot of difficulty getting my 16 year old daughter up in the morning. We have 3 alarms and after turning the off, she goes back to fall asleep. It is even more difficult noe with online school. I have to go to her room several times to try to wake her. She claims that she is so exhausted and just can’t wake up. HELP!

rfzneedshelp
      Participant

I have the same issue with my 17 year old daughter. She claims she needs her phone to wake her up but that proved to be wrong! I wish I had answers but I’m struggling too well!

Fena
      Participant

Does she take meds? One thing that works for me which I was recommended via the adhd subreddit is to have the alarm set half hour earlier than I need to get up take my meds when the forst alarm goes off then go back to sleep.
      On the second half hour later alarm I have no problem (compared with how I used to be) with getting up.

Dr. Eric
      Participant

What does your evening look like, and are ALL the electronics on chargers in the parent’s bedroom one hour before bedtime?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I don’t know about you, but with the state of things right now, I’m having a hard time forcing myself to get up too. Our kids lives have been enormously disrupted, with no true end in sight yet. Our kids used to see other kids and their friends every day. Now they’re isolated and lacking much real connection.

Plus, online school is a lot harder for many kids with ADHD. It’s easier to focus when you’re in a room with others doing that and it’s the expectation in that environment.

Yes, struggling to get up and do school is an issue, but I encourage you to keep what she’s going through top of mind. It’s a LOT.

My son is a senior, just turned 18. He’s set to graduate at the end of this semester if he passes all 4 classes. He REALLY wants to be done with school. K-12 has been a traumatic nightmare for him. And yet, he still can’t force himself to do the work, even knowing that doing it will mean he’s completely done in less than 2 months.

I know I didn’t offer any strategies, but I find understanding the reasons for behavior a crucial first step.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.