How to deal with unwanted/intrusive thoughts?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults How to deal with unwanted/intrusive thoughts?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jamison
      Participant

So this past year I was diagnosed with ADD and I’ve been working since to build and develop skills to cope with my condition. One challenge however that I don’t know how to cope with is unwanted and intrusive thoughts. As part of my treatment, my therapist prescribed meditating 20 minutes every morning, and I do feel like that’s helped, but I still struggle from tine to time with unwanted thoughts that just don’t want to go away. How do you guys handle this? What skills and tricks do you use?

quietlylost
      Participant

What kind of intrusive thoughts do you have? What are they about? How intrusive are they? Are you able to distract yourself and focus on other things when you try?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Stuck and intrusive thoughts can often signal some anxiety. We tend to focus on what we’re worried about. And, what you focus on grows.

You’re on the right track with adding mindfulness practice to your life. It’s a lifestyle thing and something you should continue to practice forever. As you get further and further into it you’ll find that you have more control over your thoughts.

How to Banish Negative Thoughts & Feelings

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

KIM
      Participant

You’ll think I’m totally bonkers, but after reading Thich Nhat Hanh for a few years, I’d say to welcome the intrusive thoughts. Say to them, “I see you’re here again. Welcome (even though they are not really welcome). What purpose are you serving me?”

I also suffer from the same issue. I have persistent thoughts that increase my anxiety that someone is hurting or crying somewhere, etc. I have empathy for your situation.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

LOVE THAT! So true! We can’t get rid of the anxiety, so we have to learn to manage it better.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.