How much is too much Concerta for an Adult male

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond How much is too much Concerta for an Adult male

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

joax
    Participant

I was diagnosed ADD just over a week ago at age 45.
    I’ve always had several symptoms but always refused the label and never sought help for them, except for mood disorders.
    I was in a 15 year marriage, and in meantime I became self employed. I guess the family structure and routines, and my wife’s authoritative and controlling personality gave me some structure, and I’ve always had coping mechanisms to keep up with my responsibilities and tasks, although never consistent and with many many flaws. After my recent divorce I began to loose control of just about everything, even though I know what I need to do and although I plan my day-to-day, I just couldn’t get myself to start tasks and kept falling behind on deadlines and failing on professional and personal responsibilities. Things got so severe that I started falling behind on financial commitments because I was not generating income, and my time management went absolutely out of control, or rather, my notion of time. I’ts like I have no biological notion of time, whether it be hours, days or weeks.
    I have 2 kids and my son now 13 was diagnosed ADHD at age 8, which I then refused the diagnosis and went for a second opinion, and he has since been medicated for impulsivity which keeps his behaviour and moods under control, but I now understand that I need to reassess this again, because once he’s out to college on his own and needs to self-organise and self-start he’s going to be in big trouble.

The psychiatrist prescribed me with Agomelatine at night-time to control my circadian rhythm and improve sleep, Clorazepate for anxiety and, I think, also for impulse control, and Concerta 36mg once in the morning. The first 3 days I felt like a new man, focused, motivated, self-aware, sleeping 10 hours straight and not waking up tired and miserable, the self-guilt and low-esteem waned away and I actually felt like working and did some job tasks, chores and cooking. But since it’s been ups and downs. I still feel and am a little different, I’m more in the moment, not craving for distraction, not engaged in endless self-dialogue, I can focus relatively well on trivial life tasks like driving and quicker work tasks like replying emails or making phone calls, I’m going to bed on time and can actually get myself to tune off TV or YouTube responsibly, I’m a compulsive smoker and I’ve been smoking less without even trying, I certainly am more aware of time passing by and not in denial of my problems. But focus is very inconsistent, I have a hard time starting tasks (seems Concerta only starts working about 3 hours after taking the pill and is mildly effective maybe 6-7 hours) and I don’t feel ready or motivated to focus on longer tasks that require more mental effort and resilience.

After this probably failed attempt to make the shortest description possible, my questions to those more experienced in these matters are:
    – What should I make of this and what should I tell my psychiatrist when I meet her in 3 weeks?
    – Is it that I require a higher dosage of Concerta? How much is too much Concerta?
    – Could the other medications be interfering with my mental focus and physical stamina?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  joax.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Penny Williams.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Definitely talk to your psychiatrist about your experience with your medications. Concerta and other stimulants don’t normally take 3 hours to take effect.

Here’s a great overview of what you need to know about ADHD medication:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

And more about Concerta specifically:
    https://www.additudemag.com/category/explore-adhd-treatments/treatment-reviews/

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.