How Long Should I Trial a Medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD How Long Should I Trial a Medication?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      gettingitdone
      Participant

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with ADHD. I started ConcertaXR 18mg, felt nothing so I was then bumped to 27mg once a day.It has now been 2 weeks and I feel very tired throughout the day and by about 1pm very irritable. I pretty much just want to take naps. Not noticing a difference with focus because I am so tired and grumpy. I am just curious how long people typically deal with negative symptoms before making a medication change. I am a 34 year old female.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. Concerta may not be the best type for you. Talk to your prescribing doctor about what you’re experiencing and when they think it’s time to try something different.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

gettingitdone
      Participant

Thank you. That is good to know. I will definitely let my doctor know at my upcoming appointment.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.