How do you plan meals and do your food shopping?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done How do you plan meals and do your food shopping?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  shares 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Honey18
    Participant

I just cannot seem to do this, been trying for years. Two fussy kids doesn’t help as theybdon’t like alot of the food me and my husband would like. Sometimes it feels like I have to mKe 3 different meals for dinner to keep everyone happy. My son hates vegetables and fish and I’m worried I’m not providing the best nutrition for him but its hard when hes so fussy.

I can’t get organised. We go to the supermarket every single day for at least one thing and often I’m rushing there from work to get something for that evenings meal.
    When I am in the shop I can’t think what to buy and end up walking around aimlessly. Sometimes I’ve become so overwhelmed I’ve just left with nothing. Or I end up buying things I didn’t for like clothes or kitchen equipment!

I have use online food shopping alot but it can take me hours to place an order as I don’t know what meals to buy. So it still takes up so much time. Then when it’s delivered i find I’ve forgotten something!

Please can anyone help tell me how you do it? I would like to be able to feed my family reasonably healthily with as little stress as possible, even if that’s the only thing I can do properly.

BethBeads
    Participant

Stop catering to them.

When we grew up you ate what mom put on the table or you went hungry. You ate the next day.

Kids today are being catered to. You don’t get everything you want in life just because you want it. That’s life.

Why do we teach kids to think they are the bosses in the house?

Don’t like what I cooked? Tough totty

ADHDinPGH
      Participant

I was going to say the same thing! Why can’t the kids just not get a choice. Or have two choices and they pick one or they sit at the table til everyone else is done. Leftovers will save time, too. If anyone has a problem with that, they can make their own dinner and do their own shopping!

Why are you the only one doing grocery shopping if you’re not a full-time stay home parent? That’s ridiculous. I mean, maybe your hubby works more or something, fair enough. But if you’re both working full time it sounds like it’s time to share the workload around the house.

Other suggestions that are more immediately helpful: get a vacuum sealer! They are well worth the $100-$200. Buy stuff in bulk and when you make dinner, make extra and vacuum seal it. You can keep stuff fresh in the fridge for a week and/or freeze for the future.

Have a simple dinner template: meat with sauce, veggie, starch or whatever works for you and fill in the blanks every day.

Plan two or three days in advance. So Saturday plan for M-W dinner and MAKE A LIST of every single thing you need to buy for those dinners. Organize your list in the order you walk through the store so you don’t get distracted and aimless (I know this struggle well) then shop. Then Tuesday repeat for TH-SUN.

But really, this should not all fall on you! Try and let go of people-pleaser tendencies and the Mom guilt. Your kids will be fine and healthy, even if they’re picky eaters, if you love them and give them good life skills. Go easy on yourself and ask your partner for help. Maybe you swap chores every other week or something. Good luck!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Terry Matlen talks about this struggle in her book, Queen of Distraction — and offers many tips and solutions. She talks about making up some dinner cards and carrying them with her at all times so she could run in the store, choose a dinner card, and then pick up everything on it.

Here are some more good tips:

No More “What’s For Dinner?” Stress

There are apps that help with meal planning — you choose the menu for the week and it makes a grocery list for you. Of course, there are the boxed meal kits now too, like Blue Apron. You choose the meals you want each week and they send a box with all the ingredients and all the recipes right to your door.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

h22k22-female
    Participant

I love feeding my family too.
    We have a weekly delivery of Gousto and it really works for me.
    I bought my Son a curious chef kit for Christmas and every night we all cook and eat together. It took about 6 weeks to get into a habit but now we are stable.
    Not every meal works out well so I have a stash of tinned soup in the pantry.
    I’ve got it all covered 🙂

anaddwoman
    Participant

I keep recipes on Pinterest and I have a notebook for planning and shopping. I got it at a craft store, but I used to make my own. It divides the list by category: dairy, frozen, produce, baking, etc.

I plan my meals, trying to use what we have in the fridge and freezer, then add things to the list. I go meal by meal so I don’t forget anything.

When I shop, since everything is already sorted by type, it’s easy to see what I need in each department.

No picky eaters at my house. Sorry.

shares
    Participant

It is Just me and my husband right now. We are both full time students and we both work. I decided that simplicity is where Its at right now. we love to make easy meals like chili, quesadillas, stir fry, fajitas. all in like one day (except for the quesadillas) and then freezing them for later! that way it is all one day of mess and the rest are easier for us.

I love all the suggestions! It is true my mom would not tolerate me not eating food I don’t like. I remember my mom making shrimp and I thought I didn’t like shrimp so I cried and fussed. She made me sit there, until I ate something! Everyone was done and had left, the dished were done and I was still sitting there. I am 22 and respect my mom and what she makes for me because I now know how hard it is to plan and cook dinner! especially with ADHD! there is nothing I won’t eat or at least try. Even if I don’t like it. I know it is being polite to eat at least a little. your kids are going to love you even if you make them eat broccoli. I wasn’t happy with my mother in that moment but after awhile I got over it until the next time she cooked something I didn’t like, but I knew I had to eat it.

But you got this! You are a great mom or even caring about them! I can see how much you love your family! don’t over think it the meals or their reactions to them! if people are fussy then they can learn to make their own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and you can sit down to relax.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.