How are you preparing for the upcoming school year?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning How are you preparing for the upcoming school year?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

What’s on your minds, parents, as the looming school year draws ever closer?

Hopes? Worries? Fears?

How are you preparing for success at school?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I’ll start. 😉

My son is starting high school. Yikes! He has really bad executive functioning – never writing things down, forgetting to turn in assignments (if they’re done at all), etc. That, coupled with the social struggle of Asperger’s/Autism (and ADHD and dysgraphia) make school so very hard.

I’m worried that these struggles will be even more difficult to manage and cope with in high school.

I am hopeful, however, because he will have a guided study hall for students with IEPs. I had to insist that he be placed in the study hall, but felt strongly he could use the extra help.

Right now, we still have 5 weeks of summer left and we are taking it easy. As soon as schedules are posted (in a few weeks still), it will be back to emails, meetings, and fighting tooth and nail for the help and services my son needs and deserves.

Of course, we will go to freshman orientation and walk his schedule and meet all his teachers so that he will be more comfortable. And I always give teachers a short letter about his strengths and weaknesses and a 1-page overview of his IEP at the beginning of school.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

BRLK
      Participant

My son is starting middle school and there’s so much change that comes with that he’s pretty stressed about it. My greatest concern is communication With the teachers. Very different having 7 teachers v one when it comes to discussing observations, needs, strategies for success, etc. It’s a small school, we’ve already met the principal and the counselor, his IEP is in place, he’s toured the school and we’ll have another orientation day before he starts but it’s still so much change, and change for him is hard.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Starting middle school was a big adjustment for us. Having multiple teachers (meaning multiple teaching styles, different expectations from hour to hour, etc…) was the hardest part for sure. Our middle school taught in teams, so I was able to email all of them as a group.

One thing that helped my son a lot was making a plan before school started of what to do if he got overwhelmed or emotional. The plan was to go to the special ed teacher’s room or the guidance office. We met with his counselor and the special ed teacher to share the plan and have them encourage him to use it. It definitely helped!

Good luck with your new school!

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

BRLK
      Participant

Thx! Lol having a safe space was at the top of the list when we had out transitional IEP meeting. The principal at first was trying to wrap her head around how to do that since each classroom is different and his current teacher’s reply was “don’t worry, he’ll find a space to go even if you don’t give him one!” Thankfully the counselor has already met with him, explained he can come to her office anytime he’s feeling like he needs a break and invited him to test out her couch and make himself at home so hopefully this will be a solution for him. She even has a sign over her door that reads “safe space” 😂 Best wishes to you and your family as your son starts high school!

hnguyen
      Participant

i am trying my best to look for the right type of funding for people who have adult adhd. This is something that i am struggling with right now if someone can help point me in the right direction that would be great. I am getting financial aid, but i am also scare about the loan steps. Please help me out someone thank you

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

You’re looking for financial assistance for college? I don’t know of anything outside of your school’s financial aid department and maybe some scholarships for students with ADHD you can apply for.

If you need help paying for ADHD medication, many drug manufacturers offer patient assistance programs.

Penny

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.