Homework reminders

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ajsd
      Participant

I have a 9yo son who has ADHD/ODD and is in the 4th grade this year and we have an IEP in place but it seems like his current teacher just refuses to make accommodations for him …The main thing is homework if I do not have a written explanation in email or a picture of the teachers planner I have no idea how to help my son complete his homework ..also he forgets often the books he is suppose to take home on given days. Last year the teacher had the kids fill out their planners to take home but did a email blast to the parents just so we could double check them and it worked great …and just gave them that subtle reminder what needed to go home this new teacher basically is like you guys are in 4th grade get use to taking responsibility …I understand that and by the time 4th grade is done I am sure he will but we all know change is crazy for ADHD kids so would it kill her to maybe make a reminder on his desk for him.. I now have a meeting with her and his RSP teacher to figure a plan out and tweak the IEP ..Does anyone have ideas for me to bring to this meeting on how to remind him or help him out

BRLK
      Participant

I have requested an extra copy of the books he would need to bring home like his math workbook or his social studies text so that when he conveniently “forgot” I would have what he needed already at home. I’ve offered to purchase them each year but the teacher has always provided me with extra copies. You might also see if she could simply email you what the homework will be a week at a time or send home packets for the week instead of giving them to him daily. My son never brought anything home in 4th and 5th grade. Ever. The teacher would put it in his backpack and he would take it out and shove it in his desk, cubby or the trash before leaving school. He’s in middle school now and uses a planner app on his iPad and that seems to work great for him (paper planners were always left blank)but guessing that’s not an option in 4th grade.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Yes, definitely get a 2nd set of books to keep at home during the school year.

It’s important for the teacher and everyone else involved to understand that ADHD is a developmental disorder and a physiological difference in the brain. Kids that lack responsibility and accountability don’t have a character flaw, that have a different neurological system in many ways.

ADHD is much, much more complex than most people realize, even teachers. This iceberg principle printable could help the teacher:

What Every Teacher Should Know About ADHD: A Poster for School

In 7th grade I ask my son’s English teacher if he could post assignments on his page on the school website. He said he doesn’t do it so kids in 7th grade learn to be accountable. I swiftly told him that’s a great expectation for neurotypical kids, but it’s not an appropriate expectation for a student with ADHD, especially a student with severe executive functioning deficits. Argh!

When Executive Functions Falter and Fail

My son has had in his IEP that he is to receive WRITTEN instructions for 2 years now, and it still hasn’t happened (that’s 12+ teachers and not one complied).

My son uses an iPad in place of pencil and paper due to his significant EFD, and due to dysgraphia. He is allowed to take a photo of the assignment written on the board. He has an accommodation in his IEP that teachers are supposed to check his calendar and make sure he’s getting assignments recorded and has what he needs to complete them, but teachers don’t do this either.

Unfortunately, without consistent, daily support in school, our kids can’t learn to improve these skills and learn systems to work around the deficiencies.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

tabrusia
        Participant

Penny
        This is very helpful – I am so appreciative for this site. The information is exactly what our community needs so thank you VERY much for creating helpful environment for ADD/ADHD parent, people etc. I am facing the exact issue as ajsd – my 10yr just started a new school and is in 5th grade. The students have been using planners for years but he has not. He is recently diagnosed with ADHD and started Concerta 27mg this summer. The medication has made some improvements in behavior and focus but we face executive function challenges like the above which I know is not solved via meds. I am asking for an extra set of books as you recommended and some schoolwork provide over the weekend so we can get a head start. One twist we are experiencing is that he is focusing better in class and his “class clown” behavior is somewhat better BUT he is rushing through tests, not reading the instructions fully and getting D’s and F’s. We completed a summer reading program so i know his reading skills are at the level they need to be. His learning educator recommended we provide him with the ability to retake tests and if it improves his grade – they meet in the middle (1st =F, 2nd = B then his final grade should be a C) to boost his confidence and refine his test taking. My question for you is – is this lack of attention to detail common for a child who is a) new to medication and finally learning how to absorb materials in class without all the internal and external distractions and b) do you have any other recommendations? The answer from the pediatrician ALWAYS seems to be – let’s increase the dose. I appreciate your insights!

ajsd
      Participant

So I had a meeting with the teacher this morning and we went over the class work and homework so I know what is happening..BUT I see there is gonna be a little problem with reminders for him she still feels they are in 4th grade and should be taking more responsibility on but I did remind her he’s not a typical 4th grader with ADHD we are literally looking at around 7 years old..so we agreed on a check list for the day for him to hole punch when its the end of day to remember to put stuff in his backpack also books are available online thru the schools website so no needing to lug all heavy books home..yeah..So I think we made progress but I still will be meeting with the RSP teacher about a talk to text because it seems a lot of frustration is about having to read then write..which to me has Dysgraphia written all over it..The iceberg graphic was fantastic..thank you..

Gmgoodwin
      Participant

How do I get homework help for a 15 year old sophomore with ADHD executive functioning issues depression anxiety reading issues math disability and total inability 4 organization or long-term planning. IEP meeting and November, at a new school that requires Ipads be used all day and that all homework assignment should be posted in Aspen however they’re not being posted early enough for her her to get a head start or learn how to backtrack and plan for longer assignments. Most days I get notification of a below 60 grade in almost every class academically of which she supposed to have a sped teacher in each of those but they don’t seem to be helping her to keep up, break down longer projects, or realize that she has a tester quiz and breakdown study time appropriately for multiple academic classes in a way that is helping her achieve what she can when she receives all necessary supports. How can I get the sped teachers and her education teachers to put in assignments on Aspen more than a day ahead of time, especially if I already know she’s going to miss school time due to dodoctor’s appointments – even when I write a dismissal note ahead of time several weeks before this dismissal or tardy due to a appointment, specifically requesting that she get her assignments prior to said dismissal or tardy/out for day example Monday being out probably the whole school day for a hearing and asking for her assignment to be given to her by Friday before missing Monday! Answer I Always get told is to check Aspen however teachers postings are not there until the day of assignment to be done. How can I get prior notice put by the teachers in Aspen early enough for her exexecutive functioning issues?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Gmgoodwin.
        Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Where is this school you speak of? I must move there and enroll my son at once! 😀

I would give anything for all teachers to post all assignments.

Ask for an accommodation that she either get the assignments earlier, or that she get extended time to finish them.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

nysha
      Participant

I had it written into my 6th-10th grader’s IEP that I would come to the school on Friday and get a list of all assignments my child had not turned in for that week, along with any textbook needed to complete the assignments. As long as the missing assignments were turned in by the following Friday, my child did not get marked late for any work I picked up. Each year, after about a month of spending all weekend doing schoolwork, my child decided it was easier to do his work and turn it in on time, but I still went in every Friday to make sure.

I got a lot of negative comments from his teachers about not teaching him responsibility. I told them that it was my job to teach him responsibility, not theirs and my immediate goal was for them to learn the material presented in class and pass this grade. I also let any teachers who refused to comply know that it was in his IEP, which was a legal document and if they didn’t follow it, I would be happy to involve the principal, superintendent, state secretary of education, and my lawyer in whatever order I felt would work best.

loretta.reust
      Participant

Our local junior high school (7-8th grades) had a school-wide policy of encouraging use of written planners. Every student was encouraged to write down the assignments into their planner. If a parent or a teacher was concerned about a student not getting the information accurately or consistently, they would request the teacher sign the planner every day after class. That way the parent knew the teacher checked that the student had copied the assignment correctly. The school district also had an online service that parents could sign up for to get updates for their children–everything from attendance to assignments due. (even with a smart phone app.) Some teachers were great about posting everything, other teachers only posted grades. It’s difficult when you have some teachers that are great about posting assignments online, and then other teachers don’t post online.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.