homeopathy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gentlygenli 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

sjgonzalez78
    Participant

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has experiences (positive or not) with homeopathy. I read the article shared by ADDitude, and am curious to learn about experiences with it. My 7 y/o son has adhd and anxiety. He tried two different non-stimulants, and am considering other options before trying a stimulant. Thank you!

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  ADHDmomma.

gentlygenli
    Participant

Homeopathy relies on a belief in magic. There are no molecules of any active ingredient in homeopathic remedies. They are diluted out. Really. You have to believe that the spiritual memory of a substance makes an impression in water that then can cure disease.

Sometimes unsafe actual active ingredients are added to the nonexistent homeopathic remedy and sold under the pretense that they aren’t the “real” actives. That’s how people ended up losing their sense of smell permanently with zinc in “homeopathic” cold remedies.

In short, it’s a crock of nonsense peddled to escape laws that treatments must be safe and effective to be sold. You’re giving money to scammers if you pay for these things.

kolivier
    Participant

We have had success with chelated micronutrients with our daughter. You are welcome to email me if you want to hear about our experience as well as others with similar success.

Sincerely,
    Karin
    Karingolivier@gmail.com

cindyatchley
      Participant

Thank you,

I have sent you a private email. I look forward to your response.

gentlygenli
      Participant

“Chelates micronutrients” would not be homeopathy. Just as an FYI. Homeopathy doesn’t mean any supplement. To be homeopathic, the substance must be 1) highly diluted (millions of times) and 2) based on the premise that the active ingredients has to cause the same symptoms as the disease at a higher concentration. A homeopathic remedy for vomiting would be something that causes vomiting that is diluted to the point that one or fewer molecules of the substance exist per dose.

If the OP wants to ask about supplements, that’s a different thing, assuming that you would sensibly demand that your supplement have some of the actual substance itself that is on the bottle.

Supplements could be helpful. They can also be dangerous. The lack of regulation doesn’t make them safer.

As far as supplements (not homeopathic remedies) go, I believe there is good theoretical support for dopamine precursors as beneficial to anyone on stimulants, and most people could do with more D3 and fish oil.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  gentlygenli.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Check out ADDitude’s treatment reviews section — there are many natural/alternative treatments listed:
    https://www.additudemag.com/category/explore-adhd-treatments/treatment-reviews/

I’ve tried MANY, MANY supplements with my son and none had a positive effect on ADHD symptoms for us.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Here’s an additional discussion on homeopathy and ADHD as well:

Homeopathic Remedies for ADHD: Research and Reviews of Popular Options

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

gentlygenli
      Participant

The article is overall good, but there is an important mistake. The article first incorrectly attributes a vaccine-type response to the active ingredient. This might be how modern practitioners sell homeopathy, but a vaccine-level dose would be many, many thousands of times higher than a typical homeopathic dose.

In fact, at the most commonly used dilution levels, NOT EVEN ONE MOLECULE of the active ingredient is likely to remain.

Homeopathy relies on the belief that after dilution, water’s MEMORY retains the “vital energy” of the substance that was once in it (but no longer is). This “memory of water”–which only exists to the homeopathic practitioner–is what one must believe creates the “like cures like” effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.