High Calorie small quantity school lunch ideas, please

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Food, Nutrition & Health High Calorie small quantity school lunch ideas, please

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Eric 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Peridot2
    Participant

Hi,
    My 7yo has minimal appetite during school and eats very little of his lunch, despite me packing “favorites” and getting input for what I do put in. I’m looking for some ideas of high calorie-minimal mouthful things I could pack, that would not only entice him to eat, but also give him the calories he needs in just a few bites. (Also school is nut free 😬) Anyone been through a similar thing? Bargaining and reasoning doesn’t help at this age.
    Making/baking items at home is no problem.
    Thanks in advance

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

First, consider what his favorite foods are. If he really likes chocolate or sweets, make some protein balls. Full fat cheese (younger kids love the cubes and shapes). Foods for grazing is how I would think of it. Protein shakes are good too. Make sure the items you pack have good protein, high calories, and as many nutrients as possible. Try not to pack simple carbs like breads, chips, etc — most kids will gravitate toward those foods but the need the protein for brain fuel.

One thing that made a difference for us was the type of lunchbox we packed. I noticed when I packed separate baggies and containers, he’d get one out and eat some of that and retrieve nothing else (elementary age). I got a PlanetBox lunchbox and it totally changed his eating (they are super expensive but will last a lifetime). https://www.amazon.com/PlanetBox-Eco-Friendly-Stainless-Compartments-Adults/dp/B006IVM9VS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536065186&sr=8-3&keywords=planetbox Now he opened one thing and could nibble on a variety of things, instead of focusing so much on taking everything out (which he didn’t because he became distracted).

Here are some more ideas:

When Meds Affect Appetite

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pump2Duncan
    Participant

I’m in a similar situation. I send a protein shake everyday. If your little one likes smoothies, those can be a great way to sneak in veggies – fruits can mask spinach and carrots. My guy seems to pick up on those so we haven’t been able to add anything but water and protein powder. LOL.

Clif bars pack a protein punch. And I agree with Penny, full fat cheese products are great and kids usually love them. If you search on Amazon, I believe you can find nut free protein bars. I just found over the weekend a bar called the “Perfect Bar” that packs a ton of calories that my son LOVES that’s all-natural. Not sure if they make any “nut free” varieties, but it might be a good idea for an afterschool snack. They are a bit pricey though – so pricey I actually put my son’s name on the bars and made sure everybody knew they were ONLY for my son.

ddt1981
    Participant

I just printed this, thank you thank you! I am in the same boat. My 7 yo is very picky eating and the pediatrician is concerned with his low weight on the medication. I just ordered him a bento lunch box in which he can open one thing and all his food is in front of him, no effort to unwrap or look in seperate packages. I filled it with high protein/ calorie snacks. His favorites and fruit and veggies which is great, but does not pack on the pounds.
    Bananas, kiwis, yogurt mixed with evaporated milk and fruit on top to entice him to eat it, and I’ve been using the pediasure or boost nutritional drinks. I try to give him one 2 to 3 times a day, which is full of vitamins minerals and calories. good luck! hope more people comment on this – always looking for new ideas!!

suziandben
    Participant

This is an older thread but in case it’s helpful I will add my experience. One day I was talking to a mom about her baby and she made the comment “fed is best” referring to bottle vs. breast feeding but it sent off LIGHT BULBS in my brain….. The same is true for my kid fed is best!! I immediately ordered kid protein shakes to send to school with my son. Suddenly he has no issue drinking his lunch every day. When I sent him with sandwiches or other food items he got too distracted and would not eat a bite. And it makes packing his lunch super easy. These are the ones I buy on subscribe and save:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKL4KKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dr. Eric
    Participant

My son would not do the protein shakes.
    #1 – We concentrate on breakfast and dinner. We found that pushing too hard about lunch was making it too stressful for him.

#2 -We had some success with 2 things: homemade “lunchables” (salami, cheese, goodie) and homemade “corndogs” (corn muffins with sliced hotdogs in them). The lunchables upgraded to mini salami-hawaiian roll sandwiches.

He is still severely underweight, but there are no issues with energy, mood, or health.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.