High calorie foods for picky eater

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Food, Nutrition & Health High calorie foods for picky eater

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

ddt1981
    Participant

My son is on concerta and our pediatrician is very concerned with his weight. He is 50″ and weighs 58 lbs. Its always a struggle to pack something high calorie and something he will eat in his lunch during the day, and have him eat at night. He will eat a little, not much. I just bought him a bento lunch box so all he has to do is open one thing and all his food is unopened and easily accessible. I also pack a pediasure in his lunch.
    I use pediasure usually 2-3 times a day, bananas, kiwis (as he loves fruit). He does not care for cut up cheese or peanut butter, he will not eat a sandwich. I try to have pasta, turkey, chicken at dinner time. he does not like potatoes. any ideas for picky eaters that have high calories, I’m all ears – desperate for new ideas. thank you!!!!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

There’s a recent discussion that’s similar here: https://www.additudemag.com/forums/topic/high-calorie-small-quantity-school-lunch-ideas-please/

If he likes Periasure, try making your own protein shakes and pack in the calories. I use to make my kids milkshakes for breakfast with: protein powder, whole milk, full fat ice cream, peanut butter, and banana. I believe you can add powdered milk for even more calories.

The trick is protein and calories. A variety isn’t worth forcing, you just have to find what he can tolerate that gives him these high needs.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.