Helping young daughter with ADD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Helping young daughter with ADD

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      David
      Participant

My young daughter is trying to figure life out. It’s hard for my wife and I watching her fail and feel depressed about her future. She won’t let us help and rarely listens to are advice. We make sure she never thinks that she is a disappointment or a failure. This is clearly been the hardest part of raising a child with ADD. It’s affecting our marriage and the rest of our family because we are all so worried and sad. I don’t think I need to go into details because I’m guessing if you’re on this site then you don’t need to much details.

Dizzy
      Participant

David, you don’t mention how old your daughter is, but I hope she understands
      that being ADD/ADHD also has some benefits! Hyper-Focus is one area that,
      once a person learns to have some control over it, can be a huge asset.

Here’s something on the site about it:

Hyperfocus: The ADHD Phenomenon of Intense Fixation

If she is old enough to read, this might help put a smile back on
      her face…

17 Things to Love About ADHD!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

A child’s self-esteem is fragile, and having ADHD means it’s tested many, many more times every day. That means it must become a much bigger part of your parenting. Find ways to create opportunities for success — lots of them.

Your Child’s Self Esteem Matters: 8 Confidence Builders for Kids with ADHD

The ADHD Soul Shine Kit: Build Your Child’s Self Esteem

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.