Help with meds?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tracy_MA4170 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

afield3
    Participant

I am reposting because I can’t see my old one. I may have messed up trying to edit it. I am so sorry if this is a double post!

I have a 13 year old diagnosed inattentive adhd back in February. She would constantly make careless errors, transpose numbers, etc in math. Focalin XR helped a ton, but it did not make her feel good. She was always tired, zombied, very emotional and weepy, anxious, started having panic attacks. She’s always been an energetic/enthusiastic person (but not necessarily hyper) but this made her really subdued and just out of it and not like herself.

We went off meds for a few weeks for Summer and recently went back to her pediatrician to try something new before school starts back. She put her on Vyvanse 10mg and told us to increase if we needed to. A few days on the 10mg were fine, but then she felt is wasn’t working. We upped to 20mg and she thought it was fine. Her pediatrician told me that if she wasn’t hungry during the day I would know it’s working. She felt she may need to bump to 30, so we did and she seemed much more tired and irritable. I panicked thinking it was too high and went back to 20mg, but today she is hungry and eating and we just don’t know what to do. We are almost out of the 10mg since we have been doubling up, and I really don’t want to have a 20mg called in for it not to be what she needs. It’s expensive and there’s no generic. 🙁 She just wants to stop medication roulette and just settle on something.

This does seem better for her emotionally than the Focalin, but she still seems tired and not her bubbly self. I told her pediatrician I hoped to find something that kept her focus with math but also kept her personality and how she felt when not on meds the same. She looked at me like I had 3 eyes. 🙁 Are my expectations unrealistic? We are still new with this and just want to help our girl out the best we can.

Thank you in advance.

jlynn37
    Participant

My son is 9 and we have been on this crazy roller coaster for 4 years! He is ADHD combined w/ ODD tendencies and anxiety. If I had to start all over again, I would highly recommend getting a cheek swap test through like Genesight or another company like it. We did this 2 years in and I wish we would have done it sooner! My son is resistant to almost all stimulants (which would explain why none of them really ever worked) and has reduced efficiency to most medications. We see an excellent child psychologist and he has helped us find the right medications to help my son. Now, that being said, I will say that we do lose a little of his personality with medication, but we know it is a small price to pay right now to regulate his brain.

Medication can so often be trial and error and it is very frustrating on all ends, but if you persist you will find the best one for her. Good luck and big hugs to you both.

I.have.your.back89
    Participant

To afield3. When it comes to stimulants trial and error is not only key but at the same time frustrating and scary. However when your daughter discovers that ideal dose it will be the best feeling for you as a parent. And a life changer for your daughter. A little paitiances gos a Long way! Stay positive. I’ll be around if you need. God bless.

Tracy_MA4170
      Participant

I wish I had heard of this 20 years ago when my son was diagnosed with ADHD/ODD…what a nightmare…my son wouldn’t take medication because of his ODD and the influence of his grandparents telling him he didn’t have to cuz it would turn him into a zombie…they were too worried that with his IQ, it would cause him to not be as functional. Only problem is kids with ADHD/ODD need something that encourages focus and the ability to sit still. I think it would have helped his compulsive behavior as well. 40+ years later, I was diagnosed with ADD, and after always questioning myself if I was the host of his, I found out it is often hereditary. He should be on medication (especially cuz now he has severe social anxiety) but I feel better knowing that what I always felt in my gut, was seemingly validated. And ODD left untreated or unmanaged is a different animal all on its own….at almost half my life expectancy, I finally feel like I have gotten control of much of my thoughts and feelings. It feels good that my brain doesn’t shut down anymore and I can think more clearly. I wish it didn’t take all this time to finally get help for myself and hopefully my son chooses to do something about it also.

donnalovesgod
    Participant

I simply need help. We adopted our daughter from foster care. We have had her since she was 2 months old. She was badly drug addicted and had failure to thrive, been in therapy since 3 months old. She was fine til about almost age 2. Now she will be 4 this Friday and doc gave us Ridellan for her to start using when she turns four. She has turned our family upside down, she seems so unhappy most of the day whining and complaining screaming getting into everything all day long same stuff everyday. Now she yells back and is becoming Defiant. I want to help her so bad but scared to start her on meds!!

Can I hear from parents who started their kids at such a young age please?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There is a lot of trial and error with ADHD medication. And expecting that a loss of appetite shows that it’s working is ignorant. Yes, it affects appetite for many, but not everyone. The best measure to see if it’s working is to journal each day about behaviors (good and bad) and look for improvements.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

afield3
    Participant

Thank you all so much for the replies. I guess it’s just difficult because our main issue with her is careless mistakes and concentrating in school and with it being summer we just can’t tell as well. She is not hyperactive, so we don’t see much difference there. She just seems tired and subdued. We are going to try the 30mg Vyvanse for a few days and I guess get the 20 mg called in and try that if she’s still tired and has lack of energy on the 30mg? I wish there was a generic.

The 30mg is still a low dose for Vyvanse, right? She is 5’7 and around 125 if that helps. She is adult sized for sure! I just don’t want her on too much I guess is my main concern with the dosage. Is that why she could be tired? The 20-30mg is too much? We are just so confused. I would love to do the swab, but I keep reading it’s around $300. Does insurance not help with that? Sorry for all of the questions and thank you so much!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Stimulant medications for ADHD are NOT diagnosed by size, weight, or age. The dose needed depends on the individual’s neurotransmitter needs, metabolism, and genetics. A tiny 7-year-old could need the max dose while a 300 lb man could only tolerate and need the minimum dose.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.