Help – struggling to wait.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Help – struggling to wait.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Kerplunk
      Participant

I’ve struggled with ADHD symptoms my whole life and it was only when my son was diagnosed and I looked more closely that it became (in my view) beyond reasonable doubt I had it. It’s blighted my life, had to give up work because couldn’t concentrate of focus and lacked motivation etc… I’m keen as mustard now to get back to work and trying the medication seems the obvious thing, but there’s a 12 month waiting list (Lancashire) to get diagnoses. I had been self medicating with cannabis but kicked that hoping I could get ADHD meds, 3 months on I’m told there’s a long wait. Any ideas of how I can get access to medication sooner ? Working is very important to me, my self worth and depression will drag me down otherwise.

What if I get a private diagnosis (£200) would the NHS then manage my prescriptions or are there charities ?(Can’t afford to pay for meds privately) ? What about black market – Canadian pharmacies ? Not interested in being told what should not do – that’s not an option , my self worth and depression represent a higher risk to me. I have to do something. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Currently, cannabis or black market meds seems the only options, lower risk than doing nothing for 12 months ??? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I wish I could offer some insight but I’m not familiar with the process in the U.K. I’ve coached some parents who have written letters to the NHS saying that their child’s case was urgent and they needed to be seen for medication for ADHD much sooner than the waiting list is allowed. Maybe process is available to adults as well?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

onaverylongpath
      Participant

I am also struggling to wait, as evident from me posting and posting and posting and pacing and pacing thinking about what to say. I’m hyper focused on <i>getting somewhere</i> I can’t work and can’t think about anything else. Perhaps it is rose colored glasses, but, I feel that before starting on this phase of my self improvement and discovering the label I was less unhappy. Ignorance is bliss etc etc.

After I discovered the label and all my symptoms were laid bare before me it was very joyous. And then I heard there was treatment that could work for me I was really really happy! And then when I looked in my medicine cabinet and didn’t see a bottle of non-stimulant medicine, and I don’t have these life skills yet, and everyday I’m still making the same mistakes, and I have more out going e-mails and calls for appointments than in going appointments, I’m more unhappy than before it feels. Even coming here feels like I’m just teasing myself and stringing myself out instead of healing. My partner is getting sick of the rumination too. Its all I’ve talked about for 3 months and I can’t stop.

So, to help me struggle less while waiting I’m trying to accept I just have to wait and be patient, I cannot will this process to go faster, to be less cynical and pointing our when I do all my symptoms, to work on exercise and ADHD life skills over pills, to attempt to engage in one of my hobbies and remember that life exists outside the struggle, to talk about it less.

All I can say is that I’m trying these, not that it is working (yet) of course.

We’re experiencing grief. We’ve lost so much. Its witnessing the death of the life we could have had and could have if only there were more opportunities. So, try using grieving advice like someone’s died. Much hugs from across the Atlantic.

Fake hope until you have it. I’ve said “tomorrow’s going to be a better day” for 8 years and now it is better in so many ways. Like being here instead of calling myself “dumb, lazy, and hopeless”. You can do this!

Kerplunk
      Participant

Thanks for the responses so far (keep them coming). In fact it helps just to know I’ve been heard. Onaverylongpath good tips, I also find caffeine helps a little (and every little helps). In fact I might buy a crate of red bull. You’re right, navel gazing isn’t helping, so I’m now candle gazing (to meditate) seems to help. Thanks for the hug across the Atlantic, boy you’ve got long arms.

Penny, you’re quit right a stiff letter to the Time never hurt anyone. The way I see it, when I was economically active I paid shed loads of tax and created employment (I set up a company), so having me as an economic burden surely doesn’t make economic sense ? Or in other word giz us a job, I know you’ve got one….

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Kerplunk.
      onaverylongpath
      Participant

Glad to hear your steps forward. Write that letter! Break it down in to chunks, don’t get overwhelmed by the emotional side of it and bounce off. Please share it when you’re done so we can read it.

Side note about Red Bull: Red Bull and other “energy drinks” usually don’t contain much more caffeine than a cup of coffee, but they do contain a LOAD of sugar and artificial chemicals. In college I used to think that they were better for helping me stay up, but, actually it just made the crash even worse. They were also very expensive little cans. Don’t get sucked in by the sky divers and extreme sports marketing – it’s just liquid candy.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.