Help Please!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Jackofall
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask this sort of question as its fairly new to me. To give a little context – I’m 23, I am a highly motivated and driven individual with a strong work ethic.
    I’ve had about ~15 jobs since the age of 18.. and only in my current job have I lasted more than 6 months. I didn’t do great in school but not terrible either (although looking back I had more than enough ability just the desire wasn’t there).

The reason I’m here is because I’m battling a problem that my peers just simply do not.. BOREDOM. I have the ability to zero in on a task, topic, hobby etc and dedicate all of my mental real estate to learning and doing it. Borderline obsession and then after a little while the interest completely drops off and I move onto something else. Some interests last longer than others but sure enough they all reach the event horizon in my head and almost instantaneously become (for lack of a better term) boring. I’d also just like to put forward that I use the term boring but its literally a case of I don’t know why I was so interested in this in the first place? I spent hours and hours researching topics like – Quantum Theory, Aerospace Engineering, Rocket Propulsion, Evolutionary Biology, Psychology, Astro Physics to name a few but unable to maintain an interest for long enough to be useful.

This has been a complete nightmare in jobs as once the initial learning phase is over it becomes hell for me. The only time I’m content is when I’m learning and progressing towards something but as the boredom kicks in its like I never get to the high level of any one craft. Leaving me knowledgeable about a whole range of topics but only to a certain level. The old line “Jack of all trades, master of none” seems fitting in this situation.

I’ve read some of the symptoms for ADD/ADHD and they don’t immediately jump out at me as being myself but I was hoping someone could maybe relate to this and offer some advice.
    I would love to be able to settle on a career and manage my interest drop off enough to progress.

Thanks,

Jack.

(also after reading that post back it seems a little all over the place but I think I managed to get my general point across)

KIM
    Participant

Hi Jack,

I can definitely relate.

I don’t know if this will help or not, but you described just what I was like at your age. With time, my mind seemed to slow down a bit and then it became easier to complete one thing. For example, after being a legal secretary and then paralegal, and then taking college courses in chemistry and biology and astronomy (and buying a huge telescope that is twice my height), I went through ground flight school and did great, but dropped out. Then I started nursing school because I knew nurses could work in several different areas and it would probably keep my interest. I did one year of community college to become an LPN, another year to be an RN, and have worked my way up to be a nurse practitioner with a PhD over the course of 27 years. (It doesn’t have to take you that long, of course; you just work in different areas, then when you get tired of it and want to go back and add a degree, that’s something new you can get into). After all of that was completed, I was diagnosed with ADD, so it made more sense.

What helped me was to decide on a career trajectory that I could start off in smaller sections and then build on it. I know the million dollar question is finding out what you like and can stick with. I would venture to say that you just need a few more years. For now, even though it’s frustrating, enjoy your youthful energy, and the options that you have. The sky’s your limit! Sometimes if you pick a career that doesn’t keep your interest, you can translate your work to another area, and that might help. Pick one main thing and just do it. If it ends up not catching your interest, do something else, either through work or more school, or pick any hobby you want to do after work and investigate that. Set goals like, “if I take this job, I will keep it for 1 year, or 2 years”, etc.

The great news is that you sound very bright and will most likely succeed at any career of your choice. 🙂

Take care, and I hope this helps a little.

Kim

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Is there a job where you continuously learn? Research careers? If this is what keeps you interested and motivated, use that.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.