Help! How do I tell someone I suspect ADD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Help! How do I tell someone I suspect ADD?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

anna313a
    Participant

Alright, so my concern is that I may have ADD. Since early puberty (I’m almost 17 now) I’ve always been struggling mentally with stuff that has never completely been diagnosed. Mainly feelings of anxiety, but even the anxiety didn’t fit into enough diagnostic criteria to give me a diagnosis in the form of an anxiety disorder as we thought it was back then.
    That’s okay, and I have been given therapy free of charge to treat what the psychiatrists eventually ended up saying was more like a personality disorder.
    It is true that I’ve experienced anxiety of different types and also of varying degrees on and off through my entire life. The problem now is just that I’ve read a ton about ADD for the last couple of months, and it explains 95% of the problems my mom, two sisters and myself have been struggling with always. Thing is just that the anxiety I’ve felt the last year or so has been a form of health anxiety/hypochondria, so I’ve got a kind of reputation of getting myself to believe I have diseases and disorders, and therefore I’ve kind of ruined the trust between my family and I on those topics. It makes me worry that if I tell them that I think it’s a possibility and I would like to get checked (and that if especially my twin sister wants therapy for her problems as she’s stated, that she should also consider getting herself checked) without risking that they brush it off as my anxiety speaking again (and not to mention, my mom kind of denies my statements if she doesn’t like me telling the truth and numerous times she’s told complete opposite stories of my experiences to psychiatrists, with me having to correct her everytime)
    So please, does anyone have some advice for me on how I could break it to either my parents or a psychiatrist/psychologist so I can get a throrough check? Or maybe some telltale signs that are undeniably ADD-like that I can present them with (if I display those signs of course)

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Try taking this online self-test and presenting the results to parents or psych:

[Self-Test] Could You Have Adult ADHD / ADD?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.