Help getting started… affordable psychiatrist?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Help getting started… affordable psychiatrist?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      caption
      Participant

I am 44 and around a year ago I realized I may have ADD. After studying myself for a year and learning more about it, I am 100% sure I have always had inattentive ADHD and I desperately want to get help.

I spoke to my PCP around a year ago and he put me on Wellbutrin (I also had depression at the time). He didn’t really want to discuss ADHD the few times I brought it up. My psychologist talked with me about it and give me a test to take, but didn’t really seem to care much about the results. Over the last year my PCP has upped my Wellbutrin dose 3 times. It mildly helped at first and I still think it helps with mood but I think the ADHD is my biggest problem.

My company’s EAP doesn’t cover psychiatrist visits and I heard it can get expensive. What are the best options to see someone who really knows what they are doing, can accurately diagnose me and work with me on proper medications/treatment? Just doing searches online has gotten overwhelming and I have been putting this offer for many months but I finally need to see someone. What questions should I ask when I call an office to find someone that can help?

I am also sensitive to being labeled as a medication seeker or abuser which I am afraid it will come off like. I’m terrible at communicating about my own feelings about this and part of my problem is that I maybe kind of gloss over it with my doctor because I have gotten good over the years at acting personable and like I’m doing fine even when inside I know I need help.

I am thankful to everyone here and to all the great discussions I have already been reading.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are several different types of clinicians that can diagnose ADHD. This article lists them along with pros and cons of each:

Who Can Diagnose ADHD?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.