HELLO! Can some ADHD vets help me with AVOIDANCE

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults HELLO! Can some ADHD vets help me with AVOIDANCE

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ivry321 1 day ago.

• Author

I’m up for books, articles, suggestions on experts specializing in that element of what I have trouble with, etc….

Putting off hard tasks, because of anxiety, is biting me in the butt!

THANKS

KIM
    Participant

Hi. I will try to help. I can’t suggest books or articles, because none of them worked for me. You have to put the fear aside and do a project. Then do another one. Better to be done than perfect. If you can work with an understanding person that doesn’t harass you though the process, that can help also.

If it doesn’t distract you and helps you, ASMR on Youtube sometimes helps. I will play the noise from an airplane, for example, or library sounds, while I work.

If long to-do lists are overwhelming, write each task on an index card or use Trello.

Jump in and do it. You can do it! Get going.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There are some helpful articles on ADDitude on procrastination that may help, webinar replays/podcasts too:

Stop. Procrastinating. Now.

Free Webinar Replay: ADD-Friendly Productivity Strategies for Adults with ADHD

I hear that Eric Tiver’s podcast is helpful as well. Oh, and Jeff Copper’s Attention Talk Radio.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Lys
    Participant

This is the book that finally got me to stop procrastinating: “Mini Habits” by Stephen Guise (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HGKNBDK/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr= ). It seems quite simplistic at first read, but asking myself “What is the smallest step that would bring me closer to my goal?” has helped me immensely. If your answer is something you’ll still procrastinate doing, you need to break it down further. For example, if you need to study, “take the book out of the bag” is a good first step, “put it on your desk” is the second, and “open it to the right page” is the third (only try to come up with one step at a time, something small enough it will only take a minute to do, do it, and then decide to stop or think up a next step). Hope this helps!

ivry321
    Participant

Nothing works we are all doomed to fail…I’m kidding of course.

First off I am so stubborn. “Don’t tell me what to do” even if it’s me telling me to do something” So when I rebel it’s usually to myself I let it play out and then tell that child to sit down nicely and pay attention

The next thing is I am a music composer I can start to see the end results like writing a piece of music I know how I want it to sound I have a reference at hand and I start with the smallest steps and keep them that way.

I used to write pieces all the way through and play them the same way. The pieces came out ok but I decided Ok was not good enough anymore.

Treat yourself with kitten gloves but know that whatever your negative self-talk is saying and believe me when you start listening it’s loud and clear. You will know nothing is true.

Find your passion be the best at it and live, everything else will follow. Keep track of your steps and when you go off a little gently fall back into line. Stay in your own lane and stay true to your purpose at hand. Remember small steps is extremely important. “To thy own self be true”

Woohoo, only kidding with the woohoo part.

Dave

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.