Hello all .. I’m new here

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Hello all .. I’m new here

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charlotteamaya09 1 day, 7 hours ago.

• Author

ashley5780
    Participant

Good afternoon, I have 2 daughters 1 is 15 and the other 9. My 15 year old was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 6 and was on 30mg vyvance until she was 11 ( she seemed to be improving) well About 4-5 months she stared having trouble and she tried strattera which she didn’t like and the therapist suggested vyvance again which my daughter wasn’t too thrilled to start again so it was suggested she try 10mg and work her way up and see how that goes. She started it last month and has loved it. She has already raised 2 grades from an 2 F’s to D’s (baby steps) and she is shy and it has helped her make a few friends which I’m so happy about. She started that cyproheptadine to help her gain weight on the vyvance on December 13th. She has a doctor appointment Wednesday ( January 9th) do you think the pharmacy would let me pick up her script early? I live In the city and have to walk to the pharmacy and Wednesday is the only day it doesn’t rain.
    One other question.. my 9 year old started vyvance last month as well (30mg) because her teacher said she was falling asleep in class and when she wasn’t she was all over the place. Her teacher said she hasn’t fallen asleep since she started it and is more calm but is very very talkative like I can’t get a word in.. did anyone else have this problem when starting vyvance?
    Sorry it was so long and thank you 🙂

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

If you’re asking to pick up the Vyvanse prescription early, the law on schedule II drugs doesn’t allow it. However, you can likely get the guanfacine early (depending on your insurance really).

As for your 9-year-old on Vyvanse, why was she not started on 10 mg and titrate up as well? That is the standard of care for ADHD stimulant medication. It sounds like the dose may be too high for her. Or, Vyvanse could be the wrong stimulant for her.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. She may be an individual who does better on a methylphenidate.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Rule #2: Don’t Expect the First ADHD Medication to Work

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Fighting mom
    Participant

Hello! I literally just joined. We have 2 boys, 11 and 8. The 11 year old got diagnosed 3 years ago, we just found out the same goes for my 8year old! I need support. We have family and friends that just do not understand. It is so hard to talk with people who do not get it!

ADHD Pun Here
    Participant

My Adderall usually makes me shut up and sit down and get to work. However, there are occasions where I’ll start talking and won’t shut up. Today I was telling my fiance about something I was reading and she barely got a word in as she drove to work. If I’m around other people with ADHD though, medicated or not, it’s a totally different ballgame. In college, my ADHD friends and I would spend hours talking about anything and everything that came to mind. Is there someone in your daughter’s class that she feels especially connected to? Because that could very easily cause the same reaction.

charlotteamaya09
    Participant

Hi,
    When we started Concerta 18 mg (lowest dose) for my 9 year old daughter she became way more talkative at first. We tried going up to 27 mg and this has helped a bit. I’m not sure if the improvement will last but we are starting therapy soon so hoping that helps. She has always had a problem with speaking out of turn and interrupting. Maybe play around with the dose of your daughter’s meds or try a different type of stimulant. Good luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.