Having Trouble Getting Diagnosis and Treatment – Starting to Give Up.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Having Trouble Getting Diagnosis and Treatment – Starting to Give Up.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Spaceboy 99 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

SauronOMordor
    Participant

I’m really frustrated right now and have no idea what is actually going on with my referral. The background here is that I’ve been seeing a psychologist for the last year and a bit who believes that I have ADHD. After working with her for a while I realised that I need a more comprehensive treatment plan and she agreed that I would probably benefit from medication, so she recommended that I make an appointment with my General Practitioner to discuss medication options. My GP/Dr. didn’t want to diagnose or prescribe so she did a couple screening questionnaires and sent them off with a referral to a psychiatrist. What she told me was that the psychiatrist she was referring me to is one that she has referred several patients to with suspected ADHD. She told me I would hear from them within 4 weeks about making an appointment.

SO, I got a letter in the mail from the mental health subsidiary of our provincial health system yesterday saying I needed to phone them to begin the next steps in the referral process, so I did and the girl on the phone said that they don’t do psychiatric assessments but they have community mental health programs and I would have to meet their mandate for any of those so they needed to do an evaluation over the phone.

I told her that it was supposed to be a referral to a specific psychiatrist that my Dr. said she has referred many patients to before and was told that they don’t set up psychiatric appointments and all she can do is phone my Dr. with a list of psychiatrists that she can refer me to. I told her I was really confused by this because my GP had told me that she was referring me to a psychiatrist and that doesn’t seem to be what is happening right now. I could tell she was getting frustrated with me not understanding what was going on and I was getting frustrated too so I just told her to go ahead and do that (phone my GP) then so I could get off the phone before I got worked up. I know what my tone gets like when I’m frustrated and it was starting to come out.

So now I’m at a loss about what I’m supposed to do. I think I will wait a day or two and see if I hear anything from my GPs office and if not, I guess phone her and make another appointment? I dunno. I did send an email to my psychologist, who I have an appointment with next week filling her in on what is going on and asking if she has any guidance for what I should do next.

Guys.. I’m so frustrated. I’m sitting here at my desk at work and it’s taking everything I have to not break down and cry. I have a lump in my throat, my stomach is in knots and I am at my wits end. I have felt so overwhelmed and hopeless so often lately and my fiancé keeps reminding me that I’m on track and will be figuring things out soon and getting on medication and moving forward, but now suddenly it feels like I’m at a complete stand still and I have no idea what, if anything, I can do to keep things moving. I can’t f’ing live like this much longer!

Spaceboy 99
    Participant

Hey Sauron,

I don’t know where you are, so it’s hard to give you specific advice for how to proceed vis-a-vis referral (and to be honest, I only know the system in Norway, so I probably won’t be much help anyway), but my advice would be to contact your GP immediately with what the people at the place you were referred to said, and then see where that gets you.

I know how hard this is with ADHD, but until you have absolute confirmations of anything, you have to keep chasing them up, either the GPs, or the people they refer you to. Obviously give them a reasonable time frame to get back to you with appointments, etc., but follow up if you don’t hear anything. Ask how they’ll get in touch with you, and by when, and get contact details (where available) to get in touch if things go to pot.

I hope things pick up for you sometime soon. Best of luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.