Having to learn like a neurotypical is wrong IMHO

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Having to learn like a neurotypical is wrong IMHO

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ranma 6 days, 22 hours ago.

• Author

Ranma
    Participant

As I’m watching a show about Einstein and Steven hawking, I start to get frustrated and feel resentment about the way I’ve been educated.
    Ever since I was little the only things I wanted to watch on TV, were cartoons, and educational programs that only adults normally could understand.
    My father worked as head custodian at my middle school, so over summer break I had to go with him to work because they couldn’t afford a sitter.
    So I would spend the days in the library watching all the science films, so long as everything was put back as I found it (I really loved it).
    Now, I have severe difficulty with maths and English, this is before I was diagnosed but I had to tearfully drop physics, not because I didn’t understand but because I have difficulty remembering equations and factoring, I need what neurotypes call a cheat sheet, not allowed in my class.
    It’s so upsetting that so many doors have slammed in my face and been welded shut, because many of the sciences I love have considerable amounts of maths, but because rote memorization type maths don’t work for a non-neurotype like me, even with my A.D.D. diagnosis I doubt I could get the accommodation I need.
    When I look at my cultural anthropology class with Dr Goodman, (pre diagnosis) things start to make sense as to why I aced the class and finished the three hour final in one hour, he didn’t teach in a neurotypical way, it was fun and remembering back, talking with him before and after class, I’m sure he is A.D.H.D.
    I know it most likely will never happen but, I think there should be schools that are A.D.H.D./A.D.D. only, not as a way to single is out but I feel, why should we be forced to conform to the neurotypical system that doesn’t understand and is unwilling to accommodate us.

Spaceboy 99
    Participant

why should we be forced to conform to the neurotypical system that doesn’t understand and is unwilling to accommodate us.

Especially when the neurotypical system bears literally no resemblance to any workplace that has ever existed in the world, ever.

You would never, in your workplace, have to work out every single thing using equations that you’ve memorised- you’ll always have a list of equations to reference.

It’s like exams in Literary Analysis that require you to analyse a text you’ve studied without having a copy of the text in front of you. In what world would you be required to do that? When do literary analysts ever work based on their memory? They have an entire SYSTEM for ensuring that published authors NEVER JUST GO ON MEMORY. They’ve even got multiple different methods by which people can record the source of their information! Writing essays based on memorised plots and memorised quotes is PURE bullshit.

They can half make the case for maths-based subjects, only because ‘answering the questions proves you know the formulae’, but is it important to know the formulae by heart if you know how to use them? That’s like saying that before someone is qualified to use a screwdriver, they need to know how to make one. Exams drive me up the wall.

Ranma
      Participant

I had a teacher that was realistic, he said ” I don’t expect you to memorize all the the formulae and answers, I DO expect you to know how to FIND the formulae and answers”.
      He gave open book quizzes and exams, it still wasn’t easy but he made the questions similar to ones in the textbook so if you couldn’t remember exactly how to do it we had an example to help find the answer.
      I firmly believe that the majority of educators believe in “learning is not supposed to be fun” and “we had to suffer through learning this stuff, and you’re going to suffer too “

jlb83
    Participant

Yeah I hate the way of teaching and learning that are traditional in these supposed “advanced, first world” countries.

I always excelled in small classes that involved group work, and in which the teachers always gave us ample opportunities to get good grades, whether they be extra credit assignments, dropping lowest grades, small quizzes, open note exams.

I just had to drop my linear algebra class. Math is my top subject, but I hated the way this teacher taught. I thought the material was easy. But I am horrible at exams. I am excellent at homework, because we’re actually given time to do them. Come exam time, everything I know just flies out of my head when I need it most. I get anxious, I second guess, third and fourth guess. Focus too much on the questions that I second guess, and end up rushing through the exam when I realize i’m running out of time. I make a lot of very careless mistakes.

Thankfully I didn’t need this class for my major (I too am a physics lover! I am a physics major and chemistry minor and I’m finally in my last semester.), I just enrolled for it because I like math and I wanted to fill my schedule with subjects I typically enjoy.

Ranma
    Participant

It’s upsetting to think of how many of us have had our dreams dashed, because of the “you HAVE to learn it this way no exceptions” attitude I’ve encountered, growing up.
    Also, I’ve always loved the lie I was told, “You can be anything you want, if you put forth the effort” well? I’ve worked my butt off, and I’m not any of the things I want to be.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.