Have you had Stigma from Doctors around ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Have you had Stigma from Doctors around ADHD

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      GemmaLouise
      Participant

Hi i have a question about the experience you have had with being diagnosed with ADHD and if there was any stigma from your General Practitioner, Psychiatrist etc about what ADHD means, the diagnostic criteria and the treatment.
      I was diagnosed this month after my whole life thinking ” there is just something not quite right in my noggin” (head).
      I am a nurse and had come back to my home country ( New Zealand) after travelling for 4 years overseas. The life I had was full of adventure and chaos but I used the best coping strategies to manage and adapt to my symptoms.
      I ended up seeing a therapist when I came back because work and the day to day life I lead felt boring,overwhelming and completely disorganised. I was referred by my General practitioner to see the local mental health services and was completely shocked by the response I got. I was told by a psychiatrist that it couldn’t possibly of been ADHD because I had a degree. WHHHAAAAT? I was completely set back. Luckily I had started to attend a local ADHD support group and could see my pairs were all successful and creative beings and decided to try another Psychiatrist who diagnosed me.

Since being diagnosed I have heard controversial and unsupportive comments from my colleagues (other medical professionals) who feel that ADHD is an excuse for procrastinating and really don’t think the symptoms are much worse than their own occasional disorganisation.

Share your stories if you feel able and super thanks for reading and being my neuro-diverse buddy

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by GemmaLouise. Reason: :)
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by GemmaLouise.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Penny Williams.
Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.