Has anyone treated symptoms with coffee or alternative type of caffeine?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Has anyone treated symptoms with coffee or alternative type of caffeine?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jhasselt
      Participant

My DS4 seems to display ADHD type behaviors (we are seeking a professional opinion on Monday). He is 3.5 years old but extremely impulsive and our daycare is at their wits end. The typical punishments and rewards do not seem to work (this also happened with DS1 who has ADHD and ODD). In the past our pediatrician has mentioned that some parents treat ADHD with coffee or another type of caffeine. Obviously, I would make sure this is safe with my pediatrician, but I’m curious if anyone has done this? Has anyone used an alternative due to the taste of coffee? Just curious as I weigh my options! Waiting is the hardest part!!!

anomalocaris
      Participant

I rely heavily on caffeine because I can’t afford medication. One thing that’s important to keep in mind is that any instant lift you feel from drinking coffee is purely psychological (or caused by the sugar you put in the coffee). Caffeine from coffee actually takes a couple of hours to affect your mental state. The diuretic effect seems to happen faster, but for me, if I want to be in a focused, relaxed state, I need to drink the coffee just about 2 hours in advance. I don’t know about it with a child that young, though. If your doc okays it, I’d test it on a day you’re not sending him to school. With a child’s faster metabolism, the timing might be different.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Caffeine is not recommended by clinicians for ADHD:

Caffeine as a Treatment

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

anomalocaris
      Participant

Caffeine worked for me before I realized it. I was in a situation where I was having occasions in martial arts training where I was suddenly more focused and functional. My trainer and I spent some time figuring out what the consistent factor was. Turned out, the only common factor was a coffee cart at the events where I performed better, and I’d had the coffee about 2 hours before the match. It doesn’t surprise me, though, that doctors don’t recommend non-pharmaceutical options. Unfortunately, the doctors who don’t recommend non-medical options generally refuse to treat anyone without insurance, so we’re kinda left with the “non-recommended” options. 🙂 I’d agree that if you have the option of proper medical treatment, it makes sense to use it.

donsense
      Participant

I am 72 now and 2 years ago i was diagnosed with ADHD. I was told
      From the age of 2-3 my father would pour coffee into my silver christening cup and add lots of milk . Dad worked on the railway and some of the trains he worked on went through town in the middle of the night. Hence he would come home and an early breakfast snack. I remember it from a year or so later but I have always drank coffee and cola and for most of the years to excess. A cup or two at breakfast and then cokes all day long became coffee and hot chocolate then just coffee and coke 6 or 7 a day. Oh yes Tea for supper. For many years coffee and cereal were my only source of milk. At age 8 nestles provided Quick a sweetened chocolate powder you could add to form instant chocolate milk. Good thing as you could never get chocolate milk at school any more.
      As an older adult i incresed the coffee consumption to a litre (6-8 cups) a day then as i was the founding owner of the business it increased to two litres a day and finally in my fifties to 3 litres a day. It slowed some when I retired at age 60 and decreased to 1 litre . It also changed to 2/3 decaffe. In the last few years 2 or 3 large mugs a day.
      The noticeable effects have been on my teeth. Which no ammount of brushing and chlorine rinsing and flossing seems to eradicate. As to sleep that started to bother me after retirement waking after a few hours and not being able to go back to sleep hense the decaffe. Tha coffee did help me focus on the work and probably helped me excel at it. I did however have all the symptoms from the age of 3 based on the stories i was told by 8 older siblings and the teachers and all my old report cards which my mother saved. My schoolwork was poor in the early grades and i received some voice coaching. I could never do homework but finished most of my work in class particularly if i had detention. Grades improved in middle school as numerical and other memory skills improved tremendously. I also became a prodigous reader and found virtually all books interesting. Unfortunately television came to our home about this time and this mesmerized me. This, no homework didnt catch up to me until grade 11 but resulted in my banishment from school on my 16 th birthday. I managed to get a job in a few weeks and a drivers license and bought a brand new car the following May. However i quickly realized the only way to pay for the car, and Board at home was to get a decent job and that required an education. The only way to do that and go to school was to join the armed forces which i did in Sept before my 17 th birthday.
      A genius level IQ helped and an almost complete HS education, 4years armed forces resulted in a job in accounting for a major Life Insurance Company in senior analytical and computer work. A brief job in corporate Group Sales into a consulting career and VP with the worlds largest Brokerage to president of my own consulting company.
      At age 60 after 44 years of working I retired .
      Unfortunately this does not include the three divorces and all the downside of living with caffeine only treated ADHD . My first marriage lasted 26 years our youngest was 18 had been diagnosed ADHD at age 5 and had finished high school with a trade, our second was a registered nurse soon to become a graduate nurse. Our oldest was married. My first wife who had survived those 26 years with me and the outbursts that were part of what i assummed was normal.
      As you can see there are ups and downs to the caffeine treatment. They definitely did nothing for my self control particularly vocal outbursts, for Timeliness and for my memory for the names and faces of people i just met. As to hyperfocus that was definitely a big part of me and my success. I have always been a talkaholic especially noticable during phonecalls. I should also mention Music has also been part of my life from age 11 on learning to play the violin Singing in church and school and community choirs and is something i increased in my retirement. Free Dopamine I call it and it is. My mother and Older sister played the Piano. My oldest brother did as well learning to play by ear as the beer flowed freely to the piano player in the pubs during the second world war. My next oldest played the accordion and sang in school operettas. My oldest sister worked at the only wholesaler of records in our city so we had all the Cds of the era (45s 78s and 33s (LPs)

A mixed bag if you ask me. I have always had difficulty picking up social cues but i suspect that would still have been difficult with or without meds. It was made somewhat easier by being the youngest in a very large family. Teasing was especially virulent by my older brother in laws until they were looking for work or asking about our vacation cruises and family visits that we would try to work into a brief visit with them.

In total we were very reluctant to turn to meds for my son but limited them to the school year and in some weeks to the school week. Today i would choose to have made them part of his everyday life.
      As to me yes definitely i would have preferred to have been on medication at least through university.

So as an Adder looking back. Coffee was not the answer.
      As a parent i definitely would choose meds and Cognitive training and skills assistance My son is in his mid 40s now and is no longer taking meds age 13 stopped
      Has anger issues and definite social issues as well. We talk about it and he is looking for some help but hasnt “found exactly what he is looking for.In talking with my son just now he reminded me that he began drinking coffeehighly diluted with milk at age 5. That definitely didnt help him. And he is still looking for anger assistance. He lives and works in his dream job over 1000 miles away. We talk three or four times a week.

PS as to risk taking lighting fires next to garages at age 5 caught, shoplifting 6 to 10 never caught, bike riding on dangerous highways 40 miles to the lake at age 11 running away from home from age 3 to 6 as many as 3 miles in the city when i was picked up by railway police. Part of a group of inner city 8 to 10 year olds who would do anything including robbing policemans wallet at pool caught, shooting a BB gun pistol from third floor balcony at other kids walking to school, My family especially brothers and sisters introduced me to the YMCA and their programs which derailed this juvenile delinquent and turned him into A State Champion swimmer at age 11 and 13 a violin student and a delegate to out of town activities of the Ymca. A high school freshman state champion basketball player and a church youth programs and choir member. The oldest brothers provided me with jobs that occupied all of my energy and time over the summers from grade7 to grade 10. Not to mention these were paying jobs Started at 2$ a day then .45an hour working 14 hour days. Thelast two summers at 150$ / month less $50 board in a city 800 miles away.
      In the army i was trained 1300 miles away in a major metropolitan midwestern city. During my first year I went AWOL to New York city for the John Glenn Parade in 1962 and apparently started a mutiny as literally dozens of other recruits were gone by the time i turned myself in. You can imagine the punishment. A few years later i took Airborne parachuting training in order to get a posting near my then girlfriend who became my first wife.

Please excuse the typos but this is an Ipad done by an impatient ADDer Although I can still see the result barely, the finger doing this is old arthritic and lazy..

Pump2Duncan
      Participant

Giving my ADHD son any form of caffeine is asking for trouble. I see why people might assume its appropriate, caffeine is a stimulant and so are the meds – so shouldn’t both work? In our experience, NOPE. Coffee is never given, and soda and other caffeinated beverages are pretty much nixed from his diet. Partly because those drinks rarely have any nutritional value and also because the caffeine causes him to become more hyperactive and impulsive. He frequently asks if he can have a soda and we routinely tell him no. During a special occasion we might allow 1/4th of a can.

We thought that it might be the sugar content of most caffeinated beverages. But he can eat sugar filled products without the same reaction. Here’s an article about kids and caffeine: https://www.livescience.com/36164-caffeine-bad-kids.html

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.