Hair Cuts

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  blue_willow 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Angel2011
    Participant

My 8 year old son has been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. Hair cuts have always been a problem his entire life. The person that cuts his hair is a close family friend. He always squirms around and pulls his head down like a turtle. He is very vocal about watching out for his ears. He has always had his head shaved with clippers because he can’t sit still. He has never had his ears cut but he is still very afraid of this happening. We have shown him how the hair clippers work and he logically can explain to us how clippers cut hair yet he is still afraid. As he is getting taller and stronger it is getting harder and harder for hair cuts and they are taking over an hour.
    Any recommendations? Anyone else dealing with this or have dealt with this? What has helped? TIA

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

When my kids were little, we went to Cookie Cutters — a salon for kids where the chair is a kid-sized car or plane or the like and there’s a tv at each station and a wall of videos to choose what they want to watch while they get their hair cut. (Yes, this was when we were still using VHS tapes, LOL!)

Can you set up something similar? Something to excite him and occupy his mind away from the fear?

Also wondering if there’s something you can cover his ears with so he feels like they’re protected.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

blue_willow
    Participant

When my son was little, we used a phone with an engrossing game. It was a racing game with the sound turned on. It made it a little harder to cut his hair in the front, but it worked wonders for the sides and back.

I wonder if something similar the like previous post, and/or a game, might help?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.