Guilt About ADHD Diagnosis

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      swagbunny11
      Participant

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and have been taking medication. Lately, I have been feeling somewhat guilty about my statements during my diagnosis.

The doctor asked how I did in high school and college, and I told him school was never a problem. Then I told him I had gotten As and Bs. He asked “like a B average?” I panicked and said yes despite my grades being closer to an A average.

I wanted to get a little advice to see if this is something I should relay to my doctor, or should I just let it go. I have a somewhat guilty mind, and this has been weighing on me.

kyrareh
      Participant

Let it go. I got straight A’s in high school. It doesn’t change the diagnosis, it just means that either you are good at compensating or high school was too easy for you, or both. A B average would tell your doctor the same thing.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I don’t think there’s enough of a difference between the two averages to matter in the ultimate outcome. A or B average, both are great.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

swagbunny11
      Participant

Thank you for the replies. I have a guilty mind, and sometimes when I get stuck on something I can’t stop worrying about it.

I think part of my worry is the same reason I panicked and wasn’t completely honest. People always dismissed my belief I had ADHD because I did well in school, even though they didn’t know the struggle it was for me. I got concerned my doc would dismiss me too, but judging from the note he wrote me, I don’t think my grades had anything with my diagnosis.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.