gov't transportation vans

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents gov't transportation vans

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      JohnH
      Participant

Hello, 23 y/o grandson to begin life skills day program. will be transported by vans. Several companies will be providing this. Should I be worried about driving records, or am I being over-protective.He is very immature, will not allow bed to be on frame-scared someone will b under bed. The people in this program are older than john, and many have been in rehab for addiction ( not judging- have had 2 family members with same disease. Would appreciate any feedback. It is more stressful I think when you are gma. The responsibility can b overwhelming, but I need to do what I can while I can. Thank you, Sharon

dmu1970
      Participant

I think that’s a very good question. I would definitely ask how the drivers are vetted and monitored. I think I would feel better if they had cameras on the vans but we have never had to use services like this so I’m not really sure how best to advise you.
      Maybe asking if you can go with him the first few times on the van – you can just say he is anxious and you want him to be successful so you figured you could help ease the transition by going the first few times? That way the drivers and staff at the program know your face and that you are “keeping an eye” on everything / everyone. (That’s why I was always either on PTO or volunteered at school).
      Or see if you could talk to some of the other parents / families /staff at the day program about their experiences with the drivers?

Like I said we haven’t been in this same situation but these are some things I thought of. I wish you all the best.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.