Going back to University and Working. Help!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Going back to University and Working. Help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      kpinto11
      Participant

My first go at University for Computer Science, I was undiagnosed for depression, anxiety, and ADHD and I crashed and burned my fourth year into it. Fast forward a few years, I’m 24, diagnosed, working from home as an android programmer for a startup company, and I freelance IT services as well. I’m going back to school next week for General Science so I’ll be studying a lot of Geology and Geography the next year, and I’m starting with only 2 classes/8 credits just to try to ease into it as well. I’m really worried about balancing 2 jobs, adhd, and school though.

To make matters worse, I’m having a lot of issues with my android job where I’m feeling unmotivated and I’ve slowed to a crawl. If I hit a snag my brain practically just shuts down half the time like “alright, that’s it you’re done, sorry that’s just how it goes.” Clearly this can’t continue. Even my adderall isn’t helping me focus. The more stressed out I get, the worse I feel about everything. I went from producing code at a decent rate, to literally spending days on one issue that honestly shouldn’t take me that long. My boss (who happens to be my older brother) is starting to get really upset with me too because he knows that I’m capable of doing more and that what I’m doing is starting to hold others back. I’ve already been yelled at over the phone and I’m terrified he’ll fire me if I don’t get things in order.

What do I do to get out of this slog? I can’t keep going like this and I’m really worried that when classes start next week I’m going to completely break down. I feel like android programming is one of the only things I’m actually good at, so why am I unable to get hardly anything done?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You may have simply hit a rut. Boredom could be much of the cause. If it is, what can you do change things up a bit at work to make it more interesting?

Oddly enough, adding school to the mix might be the spark of interest your brain needs to be reenergized. Or, it could be the overwhelm you fear.

Here’s some strategies for adults with ADHD who are going back to school:

10 Back-to-School Tips for Grownups

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Jcm929
      Participant

maybe the issue is your “living and breathing” your job. your not getting away from it. if you work from home, your work is literally in the other room. unlike a job where you leave at the end of the day and decompress. does your new college know about your adhd? some will work with you. i know my local community college will work with adhd patients. can you code on the run? maybe right psuedo code as ideas come to you. or just jot them down. point is get away for a bit.
      I am right there with ya. i work full time and just started back to college (computer science). i feel like im tap dancing on thin ice already haha. overwhelmed doesn’t even begin to describe it. i get away often though, i have work outside the home so that keeps my mind busy. then school is nights and weekends. and i take breaks often, watch movies go out to eat. just have that down time, otherwise i burn out in a few days and my attitude sucks. i literally say f*ck it and stop working. the old brain shuts down and im “done”. think i have threatened to drop out like 20 times already lol.

Resilient2Day
      Participant

You could be in a rut or may need to change your meds. Perhaps removing yourself from you day to day job tasks can help recharge your brain and motivation like going for a walk, seeing a funny movie, changing your diet.

I’m in my 50’s with two children under the age of 16 (15 and 10), work full time, have ADHD and attend college via online for my master’s. Yes, it’s challenging, but you can do it.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.