Given unsolicited Advice

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Given unsolicited Advice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      sunsetjen
      Participant

I find the hardest part of my ADHD is that I always want to offer my advice.
      Even thought I know that I wasn’t asked… I still find myself wanting to point out what could be done better in a variety of situations.

This has always been a problem of mine, but I didn’t notice the problem until I heard something about it on a podcast.

I didn’t even realize it was related to ADHD!

I have noticed this become a problem in my relationships. My wife will be telling me her idea.. and I’ll let her what may be an alternate solution without her asking.. She has literally stopped telling me her idea MID-IDEA because she says I won’t let her finish.. Now I can’t help but feel like my opinion doesn’t matter. I feel horrible for even offering the unsolicited advice and I can’t express how I do care because she doesn’t believe me.

What does one do to get this person’s attention to let them know that you do care.. I now try to just focus on words and when I don’t respond right away.. she thinks I don’t care again.. but I don’t know how to tell her this is my ADHD and to be patient without “blaming my problem on the ADHD” .. I’m feeling hopeless..

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here are some tips on communication in relationships with ADHD in the mix:

How Learning to Listen Might Save Your Marriage

Tips for Couples

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.