Girl with ADHD and ODD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Girl with ADHD and ODD

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user piazzaj in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

I am a single mom of a 9 year old daughter.  She was first diagnosed in kindergarten, she presently is on Vyvanse 30mg.  behavioral issues have gotten worse.  My X and I are trying to stay on a consistent page of parenting but that can be really tough.  Just looking for some sound advice on things we might try.  I try to reward her when she does something good and then punishment with consequences when she is not.  I just find that most of her angry aggression comes out at me.  Being a single parent of this is probably one of the hardest things in the world!!  thanks for listening and any advice… Single mom

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Cori_M27 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Do you take her disorder into consideration when she is doing something “bad”.

I only ask because that may be causing her resentment for you if she cannot help it.

At nine it is a possibility that her hormones are all over the place with puberty nearing, which typically make symptoms of ADHD more severe. Unfortunately one of those symptoms are mood swings.

I wish I could suggest ways to avoid conflict with her but I don’t have that answer. Just keep supporting her emotionally to the best of your abilities. I wish you the best of luck!

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Her aggression could be the Vyvanse, especially if you didn’t see it before she started taking medication. There’s another type of stimulant you can try that she may do better on (methylphenidates—see the link to the chart in this article: https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/718.html).

It is tough to keep consistency in two households, but it’s paramount to her success and better behavior. The fact that you are both on the same page and trying to achieve that is awesome.

There’s more to treating ADHD than just medication. Traditional parenting and discipline approaches don’t work. You must take a positive parenting approach. Here’s more on effective parenting strategies for kids with ADHD:

https://www.additudemag.com/resource-center/adhd-parenting-skills.html
      https://www.additudemag.com/resource-center/adhd-parenting-discipline-behavior.html

Penny
      ADDconnect Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen boy with ADHD, LDs, and autism

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user ParentofElla in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I agree with Penny on another med family. We use Concerta which is in the methylphenidate family. Works great for the school day. A side effect though could be more aggression as the stimulant may irritate other areas of the brain. Our doctor has us using supplements such as Serotonin to help ease and offset the stimulant. We are going to try GABA as well.

Ask your doctor about supplements to use with the med.

Rick

Allison Russo
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Tapestry53 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Definitely talk to your doctor about the meds. It takes trial and error to find one that works well, with little or no side effects. After trying three of the stimulant meds – one of which was Vyvanse – and having awful side effects, my daughter has been on Strattera, which is a 24 hour med. Big difference! With Vyvanse, our daughter became violent when the meds wore off!!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.