Getting upset over mundane things.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting upset over mundane things.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ranma
      Participant

I can fix just about anything.
      I can take something apart, not touch it for a year, then put it right back together.
      The speed at which I can visualize how to make something to do a task, surprises even me and sometimes freaks people out and annoys those that know me.

BUT, I have to have a reminder set on my phone and wright a note so I remember to take the wheelie bin out to the curb on trash day.
      Always forgetting to pay bills.
      Can barely remember when my own birthday is, no chance remembering anyone else’s.
      I can’t even write a resume.
      It drives me up the wall that the things that most everyone else finds simple, I have great difficulties with.
      I need a new job, but my other inabilities and overwhelming self doubt make it impossible.
      This “gift” has a pretty hefty curse with it.

tjim93
      Participant

Reading your story is like reading a biography of myself. Some of my biggest issues is dealing with the concept of time and remember to check my calendar for all the reminders I add to it. The only thing that helps me to remember is that I am using the google calendar on both my laptop and cell phone, so I get pop up reminders with sound.
      Now after more jobs than I can count on two hands, at the age of 58, I am finally completing my Masters in Professional Counseling. Eventually, after completing the required state hours of working under a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), I will be able to have my own practice being my own boss. It has been a long road to get here where I am at but the two biggest areas of help have been the medication and continuing to work on behavioral changes. Have you thought of taking one of your talents and making a profession out of it?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by tjim93.
        Ranma
        Participant

All, the, time, but my confidence is shot, my self esteem is non-existent, I’ve applied at many places that I’d be doing what I’m good at.
        But because of my weak points, All I get is “thank you for your interest in our company BUT” letters.
        And I can’t afford to finish college,

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

The thing is that intelligence and functioning are controlled by two different parts of the brain. While you are brilliant, you can have significant executive functioning challenges, part of having ADHD.

What Is Executive Function Disorder?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.