Getting Stuck in Your Head

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ella C
      Participant

I am a college student and I was diagnosed with ADHD at age 16. I am also borderline OCD although my numbers on the test were not quite high enough for an official diagnosis, however my symptoms flare up in times of stress.

When I am alone for long periods of time without much to occupy myself, I struggle really badly. The best way to describe it is by saying I get “stuck in my head”. My thoughts become so loud and scrambled and rapid and I want to escape them but I can’t. I try doing things like reading or household tasks, but the thoughts are still there and I can’t escape them. I sometimes get songs stuck in my head amidst all the thoughts. I do want to be able to relax and allow myself to be a little lazy, but I get so restless lol.

This past year at college I have made some really good friends, and I found out that being around them can help me break this cycle, but now I am on Christmas break and these people are miles away. I feel really helpless and trapped. I haven’t been able to have social contact outside my family for 5 days. I have opened up to some family members about this problem and they know of it, but they just don’t understand. I kinda have gotten the impression that they are offended by me talking about it because it makes them feel as if they aren’t good enough for me or something.

Do any of you struggle with something similar and have you found out anything that helps you combat these symptoms?

I promise I’m not completely crazy or anything, lol! I just struggle with this from time to time (especially over Christmas break) and can hide these symptoms from the outside work and still function and stuff.

ThatEnergeicTeen
      Participant

I feel you! I’m 15 and in sophomore year in highschool! My brain is constantly racing with thoughts. Are your thoughts bad? What I like to do to calm down, is too find something that I’m interested in, like writing, researching a favorite topic. (I don’t know about you but I get obsessed with certain topics and I like to spend all my time on it.) You could also try going outside and running or just walking around the neighborhood. I find that very peaceful and anxiety/hyperactivity reducing

Ella C
        Participant

Oh my gosh yes I get obsessed with researching certain topics too. I never thought of it that way but you are right, it is a great coping strategy.

I like your idea of running too, I tried it yesterday and it was helpful and got me out of the house.

Ella C
        Participant

My thoughts aren’t bad as in being suicidal so I guess I’m lucky there. They are just kinda random and obsessive sometimes and I get frustraighted because they are so hard to get out of my head. 😜

ADD4Life
      Participant

I struggle with the racing thoughts as well whether it’s memories, ideas, random stuff drives me insane I take meds for it unfortunately.

Ella C
        Participant

yeah I used to take Lexipro. It helped me for awhile but then I had some other issues with it that kinda scared me, so I went off of it. 🙁

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.